Its done...... ThorpyFx is now officially launched. Video clip included

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7860
    as long as the fridge magnet doesn't make you play She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain like it did with Bender.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Loads of products that are hard to see live, chicken head knobs are much clearer than a small white dot on a black knob on a black background for example ( Minifooger :x ). Was it not Thorpy who quoted Henry Ford on asking the public and you get a faster horse?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    edited April 2015
    i've got lots of pedals with hard to discern labelling, and probably some with none.
    your labels are hard to discern, but they are there.
    there is a balance to be struck and you've gone down the route of custom made casing/design with the slick laser etching, i think that's ok.
    you're probably just as likely to attracted customers with the chromey sleekness and minimalism

if you really were thinking of the hassle of getting magnetic strips made, then why not have the hassle of custom made knobs instead, with the function written on the top.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I don't see the big deal about having clearly labelled markings so you can see to the nearest thousandth of an inch where the controls are. Surely that's the beauty of using chicken head knobs. They're hardly likely to be pointing in the wrong direction. You're not accidentally going to have a low gain setting when the knob's pointing upwards. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27350
    edited April 2015
    It's got chickenhead knobs, so I really don't see the problem, unless you can't remember which knob is which. But tbh, how often do you need to change anything other than volume while playing live?

My bigger issue would be that I can move the knobs with my foot, which is part of why I love my Rat so much. But I'm very aware that isn't something most people want to do.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    edited April 2015

If it sounds as good as it looks, it should be a winner

Don't worry about the nitpickers;) 70% of potential buyers will probably never take it out of the house, let alone put it under stage lighting. And for the blokes playing out, anyone that can remember a 2 hr set will be able to remember the function of 4 knobs.

Hope you've got some demos lined up - proper ones with big subscriptions, Thorn, Kingman, Mike Hermans etc, they're always good for sales.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    edited April 2015
    If there is a sheet of paper in the box saying what each knob is and suggested settings then there is not a huge need for over the top bold labelling.

What does it sound like and how does it play with other pedals is all we need to know.

It certainly doesn't look like YATS
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Looks great really well engineered. Look forward to hearing some clips.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Fwiw, I think the design is great. There are loads of pedals out there are are not necessarily ideal for stage use but still sell loads. There are loads of works arounds but I think your design genuinely stands out and that is to be celebrated.

I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

I hope this goes really well for you
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6232
    edited December 2015 tFB Trader
    Guys, genuinely thank you. I'm sorry for the lack of video at the moment. Its being worked on at the moment by a great player and a true expert in the field of pedals, hopefully you'll all love it once its done.  If anyone is feeling trusting, :)  please feel free to buy without the benefit of any clip. Unlike (ADMIN EDIT: see here), you can trust me when i tell you it is a stellar overdrive that can cop light through to cooking amp tones. Put it this way, i use it more than my Kingsley Jester now and i never thought that anything would topple that off its perch!! <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/26bfb2d5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 684
    Shared on Facebook Adrian, really good luck with your endeavours. I think it looks fantastic, unfortunately no funds at the moment though.
    tFB Trader
    ftumch said:
    Shared on Facebook Adrian, really good luck with your endeavours. I think it looks fantastic, unfortunately no funds at the moment though.
    Thank you very much, every share helps!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    brill enclosure! vids and clips!
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    edited April 2015
    I think it looks stunning! & very functional too.

Will all your pedals come in the same enclosure? I'm hoping they will, as I really don't need an overdrive but love the look of these!

I don't get the supposed issue with labelling - just 3 of the, ahem, 13 pedals on my board have labels for settings (& none are DIY jobs) - but if you're looking for a simple solution for those who are bothered by it, why not include a thin faceplate that would cover the recessed area and is held in place by the pots? Kind of like this, but with markings & contrasting colours, obviously..

tFB Trader
    breadfan said:
    I think it looks stunning! & very functional too.

Will all your pedals come in the same enclosure? I'm hoping they will, as I really don't need an overdrive but love the look of these!

I don't get the supposed issue with labelling - just 3 of the, ahem, 13 pedals on my board have labels for settings (& none are DIY jobs) - but if you're looking for a simple solution for those who are bothered by it, why not include a thin faceplate that would cover the recessed area and is held in place by the pots? Kind of like this, but with markings & contrasting colours, obviously..

yeah that plate idea is being considered. The enclosure is what all the upcoming circuits will be fit into, it's my signature design so I'll stick with it for the foreseeable future.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    Excellent, great to hear!  :)

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    It's great to see something unique for a change. There will always be little issues with any pedals that some people won't agree with. The fact the knobs are pointed and recessed should mean their position will be relatively easy to keep and adjust if somehow they've been accidentally nudged.

The lack of easily viewable labels in dim lighting isn't that much of an issue with an OD pedal imho. With only 4 knobs it should be easy to remember what they do and feel for where they are positioned. There's a lot more technical things going on on stage that don't need big signs to show where you are or neon lights to tell you what needs to be done. Unless of course you rely on this ;)

Can't wait to hear some clips!
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    @thorpy6

Good luck with the whole venture. That is a fantastic looking design. Battle half won on that score imho.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    It looks great and stands out from the crowd. I wish you every success and look forward to hearing one. Remember to mention "haunting mids". It's catnip for the U.S. TGP dollar!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    It looks great and stands out from the crowd. I wish you every success and look forward to hearing one. Remember to mention "haunting mids". It's catnip for the U.S. TGP dollar!
    lol, ill bear that in mind