Kevin Shields- whats the fuss?

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
So being an offset enthusiast I keep coming across loads of other offset players banging on about Kevin Shields and MBV.
I have seen the amps, the 397 pedals and the offsets but I just dont get the appeal. 
He has a "sound" that reminds me of turning on all my pedals at once and doing hideous things with the vibrato.
Almost like crossing the irish sea on acid. 

Am I in the ball park here or have I not heard the right songs?
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    Great band live back in the day.

But it hasn't aged well. Because he took 20 odd years to make another album that sounded average at best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yeah, saw them live a few times and it was incredible. 

Or maybe incredibly loud. 

Other than Loveless though, and then only when played very loud thru headfones, it's kinda meh now.

They were brilliant at the Rollercoaster concerts with Dino Jr, Mary Chain and err, oddly Blur, though. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Sorry does bog all for me.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Loveless is a classic, he was a big part of xtrmntr by primal scream. I think they're his two finest hours. The gigs he did with primal scream on the xtrmntr tour were amazing definitely one of the best things I've ever seen, although I was in a somewhat wobbly state. The live shows are more the shock and awe aspect of it it is literally the most terrifying thing I've ever heard there's a lot of hard work goes into making it happen. I think a lot of the reverence comes from the amount of time he was away doing whatever.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Someone I have never actually listened to (I'm sorry… ;) ), but on the basis of the above damning criticism this sounds like a mistake that I will need to rectify as soon as possible.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 799
    I think loveless is one of my favourite albums. The other stuff is inconsistent but some nice stuff in there certainly. It's more mood music than rock though. In terms of the link with offsets, it's all about the vibrato for this big slow bends with loads of reverb and echo. My favourite tracks are Only Shallow, When You Sleep and Sometimes, all off loveless, as well as a B-side called You Made Me Realise. When 'Sometimes' hits about halfway through Lost In Translation, it's a pretty special moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1249
    wayneirie said:
    Loveless is a classic, he was a big part of xtrmntr by primal scream. I think they're his two finest hours. The gigs he did with primal scream on the xtrmntr tour were amazing definitely one of the best things I've ever seen, although I was in a somewhat wobbly state. The live shows are more the shock and awe aspect of it it is literally the most terrifying thing I've ever heard there's a lot of hard work goes into making it happen. I think a lot of the reverence comes from the amount of time he was away doing whatever.
    Saw him soundcheck at one of the xtrmntr gigs. Fantastic hearing all the swooshes, dives and general sonic mayhem in isolation. Some of it was a bit lost in the general sturm und drang of the later performance but nice to hear someone with a dramatically different approach to the guitar (and so much better than just having someone bashing out block chord backings).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Actually, just listened to Loveless again for the first time in years, and I retract the Meh - tis awesome. Shock 'n' awe is right

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Loveless is such a favourite of mine. Absolutely superb record in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    edited April 2015
    wayneirie said:
    he was a big part of xtrmntr by primal scream. I think they're his two finest hours. The gigs he did with primal scream on the xtrmntr tour were amazing definitely one of the best things I've ever seen, although I was in a somewhat wobbly state. The live shows are more the shock and awe aspect of it it is literally the most terrifying thing I've ever heard there's a lot of hard work goes into making it happen. I think a lot of the reverence comes from the amount of time he was away doing whatever.
    Well i didn't know that.. what a great album.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Vanishing Point is by a million miles Primal Scream's best record in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    wayneirie said:

This
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Deijavoo said:
    Vanishing Point is by a million miles Primal Scream's best record in my opinion.

I love vanishing point as well, the dub version of it in particular. Xtrmntr will always be one of my favourites of all time. There's just some thing vicious about it.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    I like xtrmntr. Haven't listened to that for years. I will have to dig that out.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    kill ALL hippies
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Loveless is one of my absolute favourite albums, and MBV at the Roundhouse in 2008 is probably the best gig I've been to.

None of that means you have to like it as well ;)  FWIW, it took me a fair few repeated listens to really get into, it seemed impenetrable at the time.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 463
    More love for Loveless, still absolutely astonishing. XTRMNTR is OK but "Shoot Speed/Kill Light" is the best thing on it by miles and sounds like MBV fucking New Order in a fetish den. Which oddly is roughly what it actually is. I don't think Primal Scream are in there at all.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7420
    Only Shallow is tremendous. Sometimes also gravy. I like the weird noises. I like weird noises.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    Second loudest band of all time?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom