Malmsteen Scalloped my Badly Blackmore Scalloped Neck this afternoon.

What's Hot

Thing is a '62 Japanese Reissue too.  Makes you cry.  Still got it cheap and improved it a lot.

Went from this:

imageimage

To this:

So that will do. All of the fret dots came off though.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Oooh clever clogs! Nice work that man. You'll contrive something to get dots back on it, then you'll have a new thread.

That pre-scallop scallop was bloody awful eh?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Yeah bad.  Very bad. Surprised it came out so even as it was so deeply gouged out behind the frets.  Just put the thing together and it plays great, actually scallops could have been shallower, but had little choice really.

Don't think I'II be putting dots on.  I loosened the truss rod an eighth as it was wound tight and it made this horrible glue cracking noise...I thought it was gonna chew the middle of the board straight off the neck, but it was just tight.  OK now.  Besides no dots help me learn better eh.

Anyway I can start getting the bits to put it together now.  It's been sat on the table for a year and after all only took 2 hours or so.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Next time get a guitar tech to scallop your frets!

Malmsteens a bicycle salesman for christ's sake he can play alright but never trust him to scallop a guitar!
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Get that routed for a bridge humbucker while yer on.
    edited April 2015

Ner, I have some YJM pickups I got off someone here, just need a blank for the middle and a three position switch, pots and a jack.  Got a couple of genuine USA Standard bridges when I was in Amerika.

Yeah, Malmsteen didn't stay long, he had a cup of tea and left.

My back aches, why do they make workbenches for 4' people? Probably something really bad going on.  Oh well, at least I achieved something on a weekend, instead of quotes, invoices, repairing tools, working or whiling it away.

Sometimes I think if I actually gave up smoking I would either develop a chronic mental disorder, or actually find the time to do loads of stuff.

Probably be the former, so better not eh.

You already have a chronic mental disorder man, yer fckn radge man. Too much time with the strimmer and the mower.

Followed some twat (doing 30 in a 30 zone at 23:40, the tool) home tonight on his moped thing, had me high as a kite with the fumes coming into the car.

I'm possibly (that's possibly) mentally afflicted. Punter had a heart attack at 'nearly fckn offski time' last night, and at the forefront of my mind was not 'were's the defib?', but, 'fckin Hell, it's nearly gin time, the bastard paperwork!!!!'. Thankfully the NHS were Golden, and he's still alive. Bless 'em.
  • Love a scalloped neck.

My main weapon of choice these days.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    I got a Squier SQ series with a maple neck many years ago that had been so heavily scalloped that the idiot had gone through into the truss rod channel, around the 17th fret if I remember rightly…

Scrap, unfortunately. I did make good use of it though - I used it to test to destruction various methods of repairing stripped neck screw holes, to find out which was the strongest.

This is how I learned that - to my slight surprise - the best method is the one that seems like a bit of a bodge, which is to pack the hole tightly with wood glue and toothpicks, then put it back together immediately without drilling it out and with the glue still wet, and let it set like that. ie don't do it the 'proper' way of drilling and dowelling, or packing then letting it dry and re-drilling, or any other combination. None of those methods are as strong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Lookin good!
  • Cool. Fret dots are only there so the bassist can copy your root note a beat after you change chord anyway. :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Feel the fury!!