Flatting nitro...

I've whacked some nitro primer coats on two bodies while the weather's playing the game, and just want to give them a quick smooth over/flat before I put the colour on, have I really got to wait two weeks before giving it a swift once over? or is that just for the the 'proper' top coat flatting?

I'm dead impatient   :(

Obliged in advance chaps.
"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7344
    tFB Trader
    Overnight should be fine, then flat with 400 or so grit paper. If you have any low spots, spray more primer and repeat until the surface is peachy smooth before you put the colour on.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Overnight should be fine, then flat with 400 or so grit paper. If you have any low spots, spray more primer and repeat until the surface is peachy smooth before you put the colour on.
    Cheers Steve. It's your gear I'm using! Reckon one can of the black is enough for a Tele?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7344
    tFB Trader
    Yes, you'll get full coverage but not much thickness. You'll need at least one can of clear over the top.
    As long as it's black all over that's fine, don't really want it thick.

When I fck it up I'll order another can...........  ;)

Then it's on to the LPB Telemaster, then the 2TSB Custom Esquire, weather permitting!
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 854
    If the primer has gone onto an unsealed body(especially if it's Ash) don't wet sand it back, the grain will raise badly and not rest back fully, dry sand it, you'll use a lot more paper but you'll not run the risk of Arsing up the job at the early stages. I hate ASH for this reason alone, it's a total swine to work with in the prep stages, grain flling endless sealer coats that never end before you can think about getting colour on it...
    Using white spirit fella.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 854
    It wont matter man, if it's ash you'll still raise the grain if it's unsealed
    Nah it's not Ash, if I recall tis Alder. One of the others is Ash, not looking forward to grain filling it, awful bloody job.