Original jcm800 vs reissue , any advice or opinions ?!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I'm after a jcm800 2203 and there's a reissue one for sale locally for £800. I was interested to know if there was any real difference between the new and the original . Any advice or opinions ?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    The vertical input 2203's are obviously the ones to get , but it's getting harder and harder to find a decent original one , especially locally, so a local reissue for £800 does appeal to me ! I'm interested to know if anyone has owned or used a reissue , and what the quality and reliability is like as it'll be heavily gigged .
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    There's a reissue at the rehearsal studio that I use sometimes and it sounds every bit as good as I remember my original sounding, it's red too with a matching 412 which probably makes it sound better :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31733
    I have no idea about the 2203, but I have gigged both JTM45 and 1987 reissues (the standard range ones rather than the handwired series) extensively and they're tough as old boots, sound good and appear to be well put together inside, pretty much like the 70s Superleads I started out with.

Given the clownish things that I and many others did to old Marshalls decades ago I actually buy the reissues by choice these days. There is a perhaps a touch of extra romance in owning an original, but that's of little interest to me when it comes to a gigging machine.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    The reissues seem well made, and I don't expect any reliability problems, but they were very overpriced new when you could still get a fully-serviced original for half the price. Now originals have gone up a bit - and the reissues are even more expensive than when they first came out, which is nuts - £800 for a reissue doesn't seem *too* daft, although maybe still a bit high.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31733
    ^^^ Very true, I've never bought a reissue brand new, they are a bit pricey tbh.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660

ICBM said:
    The reissues seem well made, and I don't expect any reliability problems, but they were very overpriced new when you could still get a fully-serviced original for half the price. Now originals have gone up a bit - and the reissues are even more expensive than when they first came out, which is nuts - £800 for a reissue doesn't seem *too* daft, although maybe still a bit high.

I reckon the OP could find an original one £200 under that if he's prepared to be patient. I'm not sure the originals have gone up in the last 12 months. I bought my 2204 (dated 1984) for £600 about 12 months ago. I'd be lucky to see £500 for it in the current market.

Go back 2 years and it wasn't uncommon to see original 2203's going for close to a grand. Not now, £600 is a more realistic  amount. It's a buyers market.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    I don't think I've ever seen an original actually sell for more than £600 - at least not where I am.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    ICBM said:
    I don't think I've ever seen an original actually sell for more than £600 - at least not where I am.
    Couple of years ago people started asking silly money for them on the net. It's settled down since then to a more realistic level.

I saw a load around a grand when I was looking last year. Might pay to be patient, or try and get the re-issue for a better price.!!

Whats a good price for the re-issue??

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ^ anything I'm looking for I always do a completed item search on eBay. I then find there was one 5 miles away that sold for peanuts last week :)
    I picked up the re-issue last night, great amp, great condition, got it for a great price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    Slash tours with the re-issue which would be good enough for me, go for it