Boarded up houses

What's Hot
We know we have a massive housing shortage in the UK and house prices are at an all time high. Now why is it that there are at least 10 houses, all large Victorian terrace some even double fronted in an area that is slowly being Gentrified, all boarded up? Is it developers waiting for peak market, landlords who have had enough of Tennant's again waiting for peak market.
Surely housing stock should be made available for sale or rent.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Should?

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    edited April 2015
    The problem occurs when a house is inherited after years of neglect.
    It costs a lot to restore these houses and some people decide to sit on them, rather than spending five figures to only get a 5-7% yield.
    You don't have to pay the full amount of council tax if they are vacant and it can be smarter (as an investor) to just leave it empty until it increases in value and a developer comes knocking.

As to *should*- no, I don't think there should be any legal requirement to force people to rent out their vacant homes.

• There's a block of council flats not too far from here that have been newly renovated, been empty for several months.

There are several long term homeless persons not too far from here also.

No idea why they haven't been 'homed'.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I certainly agree with your general point Oct, it's not a straightforward decision for the owner, and definitely don't think people should be forced legally, it's their property.

The council tax thing changed though, most councils don't offer discounts for empty property, and lots actually charge double as a disincentive http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21814039
  • Because it is private property. It can't run both ways - there can't be freedom to buy/sell and also coercion to sell/home people because nothing is being done with a property someone owns.
  • chrispy108;593836" said:
    I certainly agree with your general point Oct, it's not a straightforward decision for the owner, and definitely don't think people should be forced legally, it's their property.

The council tax thing changed though, most councils don't offer discounts for empty property, and lots actually charge double as a disincentive http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21814039
    I was not aware of the double council tax thing if I'm honest.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    We know we have a massive housing shortage in the UK and house prices are at an all time high. Now why is it that there are at least 10 houses, all large Victorian terrace some even double fronted in an area that is slowly being Gentrified, all boarded up? Is it developers waiting for peak market, landlords who have had enough of Tennant's again waiting for peak market.
    Surely housing stock should be made available for sale or rent.
    Obviously I have no idea about this case but I do know it can take years to get planning permission to knock down/rebuild or change use (turn one big house into flats). Where I live it can take five years to get a decision which is nuts.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Bedroom tax bad?
    Forced house rental and/or sale good?

.... nah bruv. Jog on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2111
    chrispy108;593836" said:

I was not aware of the double council tax thing if I'm honest.

It's actually 50% addition in our area, I know cause I'm paying it !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17458
    I am totally against forcing people to sell assets

But yeah, its an issue and the government should be doing more to encourage people to sell. It would be good to see existing properties refurbed/rebuilt before they grand planning permission for new sites.

I know our council gives you a year free on the tax for refurb purposes, then it goes up to full whack. Not double yet though
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    Loads of nice boarded up houses in Broughton in Salford, don't know whats happening with them all.

A few years ago in Salford, a few streets were compulsory purchased forcing people out of their homes, some of whom had lived there 30 years. bought at market price at the time which was pitifully low (sub £15,000) bulldozed and replaced with £100,000 + houses no idea where all the original people would have gone with their measly payouts. Hurrah for progress
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4850
    WezV said:
    I am totally against forcing people to sell assets

But yeah, its an issue and the government should be doing more to encourage people to sell. It would be good to see existing properties refurbed/rebuilt before they grand planning permission for new sites.

I know our council gives you a year free on the tax for refurb purposes, then it goes up to full whack. Not double yet though
    I find it sad to see these houses boarded up, we'd love to move and would be willing to live in a doer upper to get more space.
    The trouble is with these houses, they are boarded up, no doubt heating is switched off so will become more and more expensive to bring into a habitable condition. These are properties worth in excess of £600K
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    edited April 2015
    Although squatting in non-residential building or land isn’t in itself a crime, it’s a crime to damage the property.

It’s usually a crime not to leave land or property when you’re instructed to do so by:

• the owner
    • the police
    • the council
    • a repossession order

(A non-residential property is any building or land that isn’t designed to be lived in.)

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."