Can anyone help me value this mystery Jaguar?

What's Hot
ThomFrippThomFripp Frets: 20
Hello,

I've got a guitar I'd like to sell but I've no idea how much I should be looking for. I got the guitar as part of a p/x deal, I had an amp I was sick of the sight of, and this guitar looked cool. Wasn't desperate for money so thought why not. I really like the guitar, it sounds great, but I'm having a clear out in order to raise funds for something else.

The guy I got the guitar from told me it's a custom made Jaguar by a chap called Steve Canty. No amount of Google search can find me anything about him, the bloke I dealt with told me he was a local (Lancashire) builder that no one had heard of, he's got no website because he's really old and doesn't care about making a business out of it. Obviously some alarm bells were ringing at this point, but I honestly didn't care too much, as I said I didn't need the money and the guitar looked and sounded cool.

I've had it set up by Ged Green (Manchester based luthier) who reckoned it's probably a guitar made up from spare parts. He wasn't sure though.

So, has anyone heard of Steve Canty? If not, can anyone advise me on how much I should be asking for this guitar? I've recorded some demo videos so people can hear, it really does sound nice.

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    Hmm, well the trem looks too close to the bridge to be much other than a Classic Player model, or a custom build. The neck *could* be an Allparts model (there aren't many out there with binding), but with that flame and a big headstock it seems unlikely.

Either way, it looks and sounds very cool!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThomFrippThomFripp Frets: 20
    Ah ok thanks for the info! So it's most likely a custom built one, but by an unheard of builder? In that case, I suppose there's no real way to value it is there. If you had it and wanted to sell it, how much would you advertise it for?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Also, this isn't strictly a classified, but nevertheless if anyone likes the look of this, feel free to make me an offer! Any other advice/ideas on how much I should be asking for this also most welcome. Thanks
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2933
    Id say about £34.47 which funnily enough is just whats in my paypal account - shall i pm you so we can close the deal ??

Sorry :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2933
    Id email Brian Eastwood who I'm sure will know of him if based in Lancashire.

I'll be seeing Brian later this week so if remember will ask the question.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Hmm, well the trem looks too close to the bridge to be much other than a Classic Player model, or a custom build. The neck *could* be an Allparts model (there aren't many out there with binding), but with that flame and a big headstock it seems unlikely.
    I think it's a custom body. It looks slightly smaller than a real Jaguar, and the neck appears to be a 21-fret (ie 25.5"-scale) Strat-type one, which looks more like a factory-made one - I don't think the headstock is big, I think it's an optical illusion caused by the smaller body. I think the pickguard is from one of those cheap Jagmaster-like Chinese copies with three Strat pickups, the shaping around the bridge area looks very familiar.

It's pretty cool, although I have to say the middle pickup and the crooked bridge put me off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    Possibly, the body does look "off" in some way but I'd put it down to the odd-shaped pickguard tbh!

I'd also take a guess that this a Jazzmaster more than a Jaguar, the control plate seems very misleading! It's very likely that it's a 25.5" scale length. :)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    that a jazzmaster pickguard. Can tell from the screw placement. 

I wouldnt be entirely surprised if the body and scratch plate came from a classic player MIM Jazzmaster. 
    The angled bridge would be typical of a TOM as well. (I think the TOM was straight on the later models, not sure about the first run)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I don't know, I think the body is too small - compare the proportion of body to trem..

http://www.skymusic.com.au/images/products/4710.jpg

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    edited April 2015
    that a jazzmaster pickguard. Can tell from the screw placement. 

I wouldnt be entirely surprised if the body and scratch plate came from a classic player MIM Jazzmaster. 
    The angled bridge would be typical of a TOM as well. (I think the TOM was straight on the later models, not sure about the first run)
    The jack position is completely wrong for a real Jazzmaster guard.

I think it's off something like this - the tortoiseshell version, obviously! I can't find a pic of exactly what I'm looking for, but the 'whatever it is' was a cheap Chinese Jagmaster copy with three Strat pickups, in white with a tortoise guard that looked exactly like that one, only not cut for the P90s and Jaguar plates.

JookyChap said:
    I don't know, I think the body is too small - compare the proportion of body to trem..
    Exactly, and the neckplate when you look at the back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for all the help chaps! I guess I'll stick it in the classifieds and see what happens!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    love the neck on it, as above the bridge and middle would put me off. No idea on value so no help there but deserving of a wow-nice looking guitar. Good luck with the sale.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Long time since this thread first went up - anyone else able to shed any further light? Enjoyed having it for the past year but still looking to sell if anyone is interested!
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    Price? :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4153
    Gotta be 3 to 350 quids worth. Maybe. It's quite hard to value.
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom