NPD: timefactor

hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
edited April 2015 in FX
So @fiftyshadesofjay s timefactor arrived yesterday. Initial impressions, comparing it against an RE 20 and delaylab which are soon to take a trip to the classifieds :

It has a really great basic sound as you would hope. Really nice hi fi pinginess on the digital mode with the filter for less pinginess as you desire.

I like the fact that it's a true dual delay so I can get faux delay + reverb sounds like on the re20 by setting the second delay to a slapback.

Multi tap is a standout for faux reverb sounds.

I nailed a couple tones I want I've previously only gotten via VSTs.

It's small! Or at least a reasonable size compared to the delaylab which is a monster.

A couple downsides:

I think I really need an external tap as I can't be dealing with the hold to get to play mode thing.

The mode switcher knob seems to sometimes control a different function to switching modes and I can't find in the manual the logic behind why.

The self oscillation isn't as great as some pedals. The RE 20 has wonderful tapey self oscillation but the time factor reveals itself as a digital pedal quickly when you start turning the delay time. In fact I'd say the re20 might even have a better tape sound full stop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Remember if you get an external 3 button tap switch it needs a stereo cable. 
    The digitech FS3X works well with all eventide stuff. (The moog expression pedal does not (in my experience))

With the eventide stuff you can assign any parameter to the "hot switch" (or whatever its called on the time factor).
    Flicking through the manual does help with Eventide stuff. They can do a hell of a lot of stuff and they are a tweakers paradise. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    edited April 2015
    Brilliant pedal and still the best delay on the market for my tastes.

Get yourself a 3 button TRS aux - it's basically essential if you're not using MIDI and makes it super-powerful and easy to use for live.

Knowing that I only want 2 aux switch, I bought an FS3X, removed one of the switches and rehoused it into a 1590A. So on the TF I have Patch1, Patch2, BankUp, and on the aux I have Tap and BankDown. It's the one between klone and hotcake here:

All finished, time to power up
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    hugbot;39221" said:

I think I really need an external tap

I have a TC G-Switch for sale, see my sig. Set one button to bank down, one for tap and the other for, well, whatever.....
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I've made a 3 button switch (bank up, bank down, and tap tempo)

and I've modded another momentary switch with a resistor to ape an expression pedal at full toe down. I'm hoping to use this to have a kill switch, and mess around with settings in a fun way... momentarily remove one of the delays or the modulation... or ramp up the leslie sound to fast...

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26650
    I'm having a similar experience - Drew just sent me his spare Timebender. It does some completely bonkers stuff that I'm struggling to wrap my head around (or at least find a use case for - for example, harmonised triad repeats...really?). It does, however, have a blindingly easy user interface and sounds great!
    <space for hire>
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I'm having a similar experience - Drew just sent me his spare Timebender. It does some completely bonkers stuff that I'm struggling to wrap my head around (or at least find a use case for - for example, harmonised triad repeats...really?). It does, however, have a blindingly easy user interface and sounds great!
    I have had a few delays that have those kind of settings. They sound great but you think you will never use them...

then by some happy accident you do find a use for them. 
    I never thought I would have a use for a reverse delay with octave up repeats.... turns out I do :-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7809
    meltedbuzzbox;598200" said:
    digitalscream said:

I have had a few delays that have those kind of settings. They sound great but you think you will never use them...

then by some happy accident you do find a use for them. I never thought I would have a use for a reverse delay with octave up repeats.... turns out I do :-)
    And there was me having the exact same thought yesterday :) freaky stuff is good, makes you think differently!