Best boost for a JCM800 - TS9? SD1?

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344

I'm sticking with marshall 2203/2204 style amps and have just got a jcm800 2203.

For years and years I've been using my old reliable 1983 ibanez/maxon ts9. Sounds great, but I wondered ifd I was missing anything by sticking with the ts9 .

I don't wnat to go crazy or boutique, I just want something classic, tried and tested , and reliable!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I love the SD-1 into JCM800 style amps. The combination just works.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited April 2015
    I prefer the SD1 over a Tubescreamer in to most amps, not just Marshall style.  They're great value for money too at £39 new.  Definitely tried tested and reliable as well.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    I've used a TS9 to boost amps for years, and it just works better for me. I couldn't get on with the SD-1, the leaky signal annoyed me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    edited April 2015
    Bidley said:
    I couldn't get on with the SD-1, the leaky signal annoyed me.
    That is true, although it's completely cured by running any buffered pedal - eg a TU-2 tuner - in front of it.

Like many others, I find the SD-1 works better with Marshalls (and Voxes) and the TS-9 works better with Fenders and Mesas. The real annoyance with that is that 'Vintage High Gain' on the Mesa Rectifier is a Marshall-like voicing and sounds better with the SD-1, whereas 'Modern High Gain' is the classic Rectifier voicing and sounds better with a TS-9...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    Bidley said:
    I couldn't get on with the SD-1, the leaky signal annoyed me.
    That is true, although it's completely cured by running any buffered pedal - eg a TU-2 tuner - in front of it.

Like many others, I find the SD-1 works better with Marshalls (and Voxes) and the TS-9 works better with Fenders and Mesas. The real annoyance with that is that 'Vintage High Gain' on the Mesa Rectifier is a Marshall-like voicing and sounds better with the SD-1, whereas 'Modern High Gain' is the classic Rectifier voicing and sounds better with a TS-9...
    I concur.

The classic Blackface pre-amp has quite a pronounced mid scoop, with the mid boost of the TS-9 complements.

If I didn't already have a TS-9 I'd probably get a used SD-1 and mod it.
    ICBM said:

Heh, I didn't realise that was the received wisdom. I've always used a TS9 with my EL34 amps (Marshally in flavour).
    Bidley said:
    ICBM said:

Heh, I didn't realise that was the received wisdom. I've always used a TS9 with my EL34 amps (Marshally in flavour).
    It is quite a marginal difference to be honest. Both work with both amps really. I just find there's a little extra 'magic' with the SD-1 into a Marshall and a TS-9 into a Rectifier (Modern) compared to the other way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I like the slightly tighter and harder sound of the SD1 with modern mode myself. But yeah tube screamers sound good too. I never encountered the bleed issue but always used it with a TU3 in front, so I guess that explains it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I've only noticed the bleed through of the SD-1 when the drive is maxed which is a sound I can't really use anyway.
    I think my thing is I like my cleans clean. So any microscopic bit of 'hair' sets my spidey senses off.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    edited April 2015
    I use to prefer the TS with my jcm800 over the sd1 as I found it to be a bit chunkier. I sold the jcm years ago but if I had one now I'd probably look at using a Digitech Hardwire overdrive or something tubescreamery but with more EQ control.
    Sassafras said:
    I've only noticed the bleed through of the SD-1 when the drive is maxed which is a sound I can't really use anyway.
    What is this not using the gain maxed that you speak of? It make no sense.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Don't think I've ever used any OD pedal with the drive past 12 O'clock, apart from for messing around.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Mxr zw44. Best boost for any Marshall
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33851
    SD1 with a JCM800 is a classic tone.
    Also check out the BB Preamp- it is an excellent pedal with that amp.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5035
    timmysoft;598674" said:
    Mxr zw44. Best boost for any Marshall
    an SD1 with a iffy switch, you mean? :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom