SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS / FT: 1986 PRS Standard

What's Hot
cm01cm01 Frets: 462
edited April 2015 in Guitars £
Bit of a reluctant sale this - but I'm having a rig re-think / rationalisation for 2 reasons: 

1: I've fallen under the charm of the huge neck of the the Historic Junior I acquired a few weeks ago so quite fancy a big necked Les Paul
2: Somebody bumped into my wife last week and they've just written her car off and offered us peanuts for it, so I've now got to add cash to the settlement figure to buy something half decent.

So if this sells we'll end up with a better car, or I'll quite happily trade for a Les Paul (or maybe ES335) with a big old neck and buy an old banger! 

It's a 1986 PRS Standard finished in Pearl Blue / Black which is in amazing condition for it's age, the guy I bought it off said it was a bit of a case queen.  First up, the bad news (if you care - I don't) is that original T&B pickups have been switched for a set of Seymour Duncans - a JB at the bridge and a Jazz at the neck - and the sweet switch has been swapped for a more versatile 3 way toggle.... the Duncans sound great and can both be coil tapped via the volume and tone controls.  there's a tiny channel routed under the neck pickup and a tiny bit under the tone control (see pics)

The good news is that apart from those changes it's all original, in fantastic condition, it plays amazingly and sounds the business. It's super resonant and stays in tune perfectly even when using the trem.  The fretboard is a lovely slab of Brazilian rosewood which is with abalone birds and hardly any fretwear. The colour is really difficult to capture, it looks black / dark blue until you get it under the light and then the metallic blue shows up.  Weight wise I'd guess at around 7 1/2 - 8 lbs (will check this out), but it's fairly light and really comfortable on a strap.  The neck profile is 'regular' which is very similar to a DGT or a new pattern neck in my opinion and it has the small heel.  It's the nicest PRS I've owned and I've had quite a few.

If it was all original I'm guessing it would be worth a whole lot more but pricing this is difficult... I'm thinking £1800 would be nice.  I've snapped some pics on my phone but they're pretty crappy quality, I'll take some decent ones on the weekend.  Comes with PRS hardcase in excellent condition.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4158
    edited April 2015
    Oh man, I wish I could "help"!!! This is exactly what I want for a birth-year* guitar :(

*except I misread the post and thought I saw 87 :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I really want an '85 or '86 prs. Great price:
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 462
    edited April 2015
    It really is a fantastic guitar, pretty much the polar opposite of my Junior in every respect but every bit as good... I'm not bothered at all if it doesn't sell because it might (and it's a big might!) be worth some money in years to come although the mods will affect it's value
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    the old Birds and Moons crowd would have had a collective chubb over this, not sure what the going rate for an '86 is now but 5 or 6 years ago it would have been a LOT more than £1800

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    the old Birds and Moons crowd would have had a collective chubb over this, not sure what the going rate for an '86 is now but 5 or 6 years ago it would have been a LOT more than £1800
    They are mostly at http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/ now, maybe try there.
  • Pmd, original hard case?
    sorted for a car now (cheap Golf in case anyone's interested!) but still GASing for a fat neck LP, so bumping this up
    better pics...

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bump