Hey, amp repair legends!

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
I'm sure some of the amp legends on here will have a fix for this!

The high gain input on my peavey ultra causes a really high pitch feedback style squeal, the low gain is fine (which is the one I always use), changed out all my preamp valves but it's still giving me the squeal. It only does this on the gain channels with the gains wound up a bit

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    Does it still do it if you turn the guitar volume(s) down to zero?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    No, it doesn't seem to.
    Tried different leads and guitar too!
    See if you can isolate it by damping one preamp valve at a time (just grasp it with your hand should be enough) while it's squealing. Even if you've changed the valves, all valves are microphonic to some extent.

If it's not a valve it's probably a capacitor - they can sometimes go microphonic as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And would the capacitor be localised to that one input?

I've tried the holding each valve trick and that didn't give any kind of result for me.
    edited April 2015
    timmysoft said:
    And would the capacitor be localised to that one input?

I've tried the holding each valve trick and that didn't give any kind of result for me.
    If the schematic I have is for the same version as your amp, there are two caps in the input circuit. Because of the way the high/low switching is arranged, it's possible that if either of these caps is microphonic, it would be damped out enough when using the low input to stop the feedback.

It's pretty much got to be something like this because there are only three resistors and these two caps in the entire input circuit; everything after this point is common to both inputs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers ICBM! I knew you'd be clued up I an old peavey. Are the caps something I could change myself? I have 20 years experience soldering on subsea remote vehicles so ive probably got the skills, just not the knowledge
    Probably fairly easy, although I think you'll have to take the PCB out. It's probably 20 years since I was inside an Ultra though, and I can't remember exactly. The caps you would need to change are (logically enough!) C1 and C2 and should be very near the input jacks.