What's the bass equivalent of the peavey bandit?

What's Hot
horsehorse Frets: 1587
Eg reliable, giggable and cheap to pick up used? Not too big would be good too!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    Peavey TNT.

Unfortunately although not *that* big or *that* heavy, they are a slightly awkward shape and not as easy to move as they should be really, and the single top handle doesn't help.

But they are loud, reliable, cheap and punchy-sounding. Fitting recessed side handles makes moving them a lot easier, you see a lot with this done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Those old trace boxer 100s are decent too
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

What @ICBM said - also yes, the older series 6 Traces are bullet-proof and great-sounding too (made from chunks of neutron star, mind). I had one of these for ages, for a '100W' amp it never needed turning up above 11 o'clock even in massive venues. Sold mine for £150, I think - they sometimes go for less on eBay. Not massive either, despite the 15" driver.  

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/thumbs3/trace-elliot-gp7-109707.jpg

• horsehorse Frets: 1587
    Cheers guys. With the peavey tnt, does the recommendation include the old ones?
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I had a Peavey TNT and used to gig it. I have the sciatica to prove it.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    edited April 2015
    I had the old teal striped tko, that kept up with the bands valvestate heads at the time
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    horse said:
    Cheers guys. With the peavey tnt, does the recommendation include the old ones?
    Yes, any of them. The later ones are more powerful but also heavier. Actually a later TKO - the smaller brother to it - is as powerful as an earlier TNT, so those are good too.

Avoid the Combo 300 - it *is* brilliant, enormously powerful and very good-sounding - but it is probably the most difficult combo to move ever built. Incredibly, it *still* only has the top handle as stock. Even with side handles fitted, they're still brutally heavy and quite awkward unless you have two people. They're fantastic in practice rooms or anywhere else you don't have to move them though.

The only thing to watch out for with any of them is blown speakers, they're getting a bit old now and if they've been pounded for years they do eventually give up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

I've got a teal stripe TNT 115.  It's got the Scorpion speaker.   Good amp with pretty good EQ.  Reasonably loud (150 watt), mine stays clean to about 3/4 volume and has great bottom end.  As others said it is really awkward to carry with just the top handle.  

Unfortunately mine is beginning to "hum" and likely needs a mains cab job which will unfortunately will probably cost more than the £60 the amp cost me to buy!