Installing LR Baggs M1A - strap pin hole

Hi guys,

I picked up a LR Baggs M1A pickup a little while ago and want to install it in my Martin 000-15M. I know that the pickup jack is bigger than the hole Martin makes for the strap/ end pin. I've seen some brave souls making the hole bigger themselves, and wanted to get a feel as to whether this was something that a (relatively) competent person could do, or whether it was best left to a pro?

Anyone had a go at this or something similar?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Easy, if you use a 1/2" diameter taper reamer. It's fairly hard work, but go steadily and you'll get there. Sometimes the reamer won't quite reach all the way to the inside face of the block from the outside, in which case you'll need to do the rest from the inside (possible but tricky, unless you have very small hands) or file or drill the remainder from the outside.

You can improvise a very good cutting tool from a 1/2" drill bit held sideways in a pair of Mole (vise) grips, but don't do that until you've gone as far as you can with the reamer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Thanks @ICBM. Having never done this before with wood, how likely is it to crack? Should I put some tape down over the hole beforehand for reinforcement?

I have used a reamer before on metal with success and plastic with not so much success - but never wood.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    If you go carefully with the reamer and don't try to attack it too fast - ie don't give it too much 'push' and not enough 'turn' - there's no risk really. I've done probably over a hundred of them like this and never split one.

You do need to be very careful if you're using a drill bit not to let it grab the wood too strongly - you almost need to turn while pulling back very slightly, if you see what I mean.

If you're at all unsure, get a piece of hardwood (preferably mahogany, which is what the endblock will be) offcut about 3/4" thick, and try a practice hole - that will let you know how easy or hard it is to split it.

Tape is pointless except to stop the finish chipping, it will be nowhere near strong enough to protect the wood from a split.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Good man, thank you very much.