Wanted - An uncool car that eats motorways

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Uncool car that eats motorways and nobody has mentioned a Volvo yet???

S40 and V50 are easily in that price bracket, pull like a train and 2.0 diesel models return over 50mpg  (consider ones without the dpf though as they can be quite costly to replace at around 80,000 miles).

Or if you wanted to be mad get a V70 T5 petrol, quick as a Golf GTI and the size of a small country. Not the cheapest to insure or run but they can be picked up for well under budget so you've got money left to cover that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    I had an Avensis. I cannot in good conscience allow you to purchase one.

The company cars (I opted out) we have now are Passats, and from some passenger journeys such a thing would fit the bill well. Entirely pleasant enough to be in.

Depending on your budget a Superb might be good - plenty on eBay with over 100,000 miles on them so there's good evidence that they're reliable enough. They seem to depreciate more than the Octavia.
    Could I ask what you disliked about the Avensis?

Superb is probably a bit big, but is on the list.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Get the Octavia, 1.9TDi but over 3 years old (so without the Diesel Particulate filter).

I have an estate which (apart from the height) has the same boot area my LWB Shogun had. I toodle about some days and do the A14 on others. My fuel consumption goes between 57 and 63 MPG.

Ex lease or one owned by a retired couple is what you want.

There is a reason people buy these!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2013
    BMW  ?

you cant get more "uncool" than being seen behind the wheel of one of those

;)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Just had a look at some VW Phaetons on e-bay - lot of motor for 10 bags of sand. However I'd budget for that amount for a lube service too.  b-(
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    Could I ask what you disliked about the Avensis?
    "Everything" is probably a bit vague... coming from a 3-year old Fabia the Avensis felt slow, wallowy (without being more comfortable), was pauper-spec (plastic steering wheel - plastic everything really), it was huge outside but didn't feel bigger inside. Also it was a horrible colour. Thirstier by a big margin, and the dealer was utterly incompetent and took 2-3 days to do a service because they always broke something.
    Superb is probably a bit big, but is on the list.
    They don't feel that big to drive, I found - they're long but narrow.
    Just had a look at some VW Phaetons on e-bay - lot of motor for 10 bags of sand. However I'd budget for that amount for a lube service too.  b-(
    As I recall, if you need to change a damper you have to do all four, at two grand each.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2489
    I drive an Alfa Romeo, I have nothing of value to add to this discussion.

Although they can be had very cheaply second hand :-?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2013
    I 'test drove" an Avensis last car round about 3 years ago (when I got the V-50, which is going back in the next couple of weeks.....)  it was a horrid plastic tank of a car. Very very nastily finished.

I know of two people that bought used ones in the last 3 or 4 years ,  and have had problems
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Honda Civic.
    A real Tardis of a car. 
    The 2.2. Diesel is pretty frugal and has a shed load of torque, don't go for the 1.4 petrol which is very underpowered.
    Very comfortable car and a great gearbox and doesn't look that bad either.
    Never had a problem with mine, just upgraded to the new 1.6 diesel which is tax free at the moment.

• gilbygilby Frets: 176
    JayGee;57921" said:
    Rover 75 or MG ZT (depending on whether you prefer to waft or Make Progress to/from the MWay). 

Yes they went messily bust (fortunately after having spun off the spares business so no problems there), and they're geting a little long in tooth (enough of the archetypal retired owner, immaculately maintained examples around to be worth the effort of looking for 'em) but the 75/ZT was a superbly engineered piece of kit.

I bought my ZT CDTi  at 5 years old after owning 2 C-Class Mercedes and an Audi A4 bought brand new in succession and the MG is just plain nicer...
    I'm glad someone gave a shout on one of these. Yes, there are a few flaws on these but BMW Diesel engine, fantastic ride quality for very little money. All the flaws are simple DIY or basic maintenance. Mechanical parts are all available as there's a lot from the old BMW 3 series going on as well as the freelander td4
    Mine's a basic cdt model, had a clutch on warranty admittedly ((105,000 on the clock) but otherwise just basic routine service and consumables. 49mpg averaged for the last 14months, not bad for one and a half ton of car.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    I know you said No French, but my Renault Grand Scenic has been reliable and economical, and you can get a recent low-mileage one for your budget exactly because they're French and thus perceived as unreliable and with high depreciation. And they're incredibly practical and deeply uncool :).

Modern cars are pot luck, all are by and large reliable, and you can get a duff one from a good brand almost as easily as a good one from a duff brand... but for more money.

Admittedly they're older now, but my dad has had more trouble with his two Mercs than I have with any of the French cars I've owned.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Modern cars are pot luck, all are by and large reliable, and you can get a duff one from a good brand almost as easily as a good one from a duff brand... but for more money.
    I think there is a lot of truth in that. I know someone who had a BMW 535 that was a total basketcase. That said I'll certainly be choosing a Skoda over an Alfa!
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium Sport. (Mines only Edge spec). I get about 50 mpg on 80% motorway 20% town. Only thing if change my mondeo for is the 2.2 Diesel Mazda 6 which is essentially the same car but looks sportier.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Our bassist has a Mazda 6 estate. Not as big as the Mondeo estate but enough for his bass gear, and that's a nice car. Bit pricy when it goes wrong, though. That's the downside. I reckon Ford's are probably cheaper to fix than anything else.