Need to make a demo but don't know what to play

What's Hot
jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
edited October 2013 in Live
A singer songwriter at ICMP is looking for a band to record with and then gig with (originals) and asked me to send him a video demo. What is the format of these things generally? A song? A bit of improv? Little bits of different songs?

Helpfully, when I asked what kind of thing he's looking for he said whatever you want man just so I can get an idea...
"have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Basically he wants to know if you can play to the standard he's looking for and to some extent will be checking out your image/performance style.

Try and play something in the style he's going for, if you know the style.  If you don't, just do a few 1 minute short clips of general styles he might be interested in.

Most people won't care if you're a good producer so don't worry if your tone/recording chain doesn't sound amazing.  Just focus on playing as well as you can and try to not look like an axe murderer.
  • FWIW actually replying with a video clip puts you ahead of a lot of people.  Honestly, most people wuss out when asked to do an audio or visual audition if my experiences are anything to go by.
  • You could always ask him what he wants to see. He might give you a particular cover or tune or something.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    Thanks, the style is 'indie/pop' (whatever that means) so I'll try and do something in that area. Doesn't help that he doesn't have any demos recorded or anything
    Yeah I tried that polarity man, but he just said do whatever you want. It's tricky because I don't really have a clue what kind of music he's going for outside of indie/pop which could be a lot of things
  • jmaster said:
    Thanks, the style is 'indie/pop' (whatever that means) so I'll try and do something in that area. Doesn't help that he doesn't have any demos recorded or anything
    Have you heard him sing?  It is a bit rich if he wants demos but won't show you what he sounds like first!
    I know. I'm starting to wonder whether this is worth it, before i wouldnt have bothered with someone who wouldnt give me a demo but I'm keen to get into bands at the moment cause we've been on the course 4 weeks now and I wanna get jamming with people more
  • If you make a general "this is me" demo touring a couple of styles perhaps you could send it to other bands as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielT said:
    If you make a general "this is me" demo touring a couple of styles perhaps you could send it to other bands as well.
    I may be looking at this from a different angle being mostly interested in originals but I'd prefer to see several demo's in the same style than a load of different styles.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ