Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

"Crap" or unknown pedals?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    dindude said:
    I have fond memories of my Boss Metalzone from way back when, the parametric EQ kept me occupied for hours.
    It does take at least a couple to get a usable tone out of it, yes.

:)

I like it too, the EQ is very powerful and you can certainly dial it in for a wide variety of great sounds if you're careful - but I understand why a lot of people don't find it plug-and-play.

I also really like the DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker - in my opinion the very best-sounding Boss distortion (it's not quite the same as the DS-1) combined with a wacky tone generator that - if you're very careful - can simulate feedback as well as make odd drones and ring-modulator-esque noises.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27297
    @mike_l

Yup, a DS1. I should add that a) I like everything much more trebly than most people and pick right over the neck pickup, and b) mine is lightly modded- new chip and switchable clipping options (though I like the stock clipping just fine)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @mike_l

Yup, a DS1. I should add that a) I like everything much more trebly than most people and pick right over the neck pickup, and b) mine is lightly modded- new chip and switchable clipping options (though I like the stock clipping just fine)

I tend to like trebbly sounds, but couldn't get on with a DS-1. Maybe I should try a modded one?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27297
    Mine's got a OPA2134PA if it helps! Not sure how much difference it makes but I'm 99% sure it's the only mod on there aside from the diode switching.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Shark_Eyes;58178" said:

The Ibanez tonelok series were built like a tank, but were just rubbish.
    The delay and the fuzz were ace. The delay is really nice.

There was a flanger that was insane and made no tonal sense at all though...
    I own the bass distortion which sounded like a bass going through a cheap guitar distortion, and I tried another one that I was unimpressed by (possibly flanger, as I bought a Small Stone shortly afterwards). 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938

I love the Ibanez Tonelok series, the DE7 ha been on my board for years. I've also had the Weeping Demon, Phase Modulator (the bonkers one) and one of the distortions, which were all great in their own way.

I also like the DS1, but find it works better as a boost into a driven amp.

• I seem to the only one who doesn't rate the Toneloks, will have to check out some youtube videos maybe try my bass distortion through a different amp.

I sense some GAS coming on.
  • Sporky said:
    The Zoom analogue drive pedals. The Tri-Metal, Hyper-Lead and Ultra-Fuzz in particular.
    The Fuzz is the only one I don't have. I have 2 Tri-metals and 2 Hyper leads and 1 Powerdriver.

But no Ultra-Fuzz :(
    The only one I don't have is the Tri-metal. My favourite is the HL-01
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17693
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:

I also like the DS1, but find it works better as a boost into a driven amp.

^This 

I think of it as a "nasty boost". Great for Vai type tones into a driven amp.
  • I have a lot of love for the Pearl Ch1 chorus, Marshall Guvnor Mk2 and danelectro cool cat vibe 
  • Most of the pearl line are killer, the ad-08 is one of my favourite delays.
    As for stuff that goes for cheap loads of dod pedals are great. The old choruses are amazing as is a lot of the modulation they made, my favourite being the vibrothang which is a kind of phaser tremolo hybrid.
    Even some of the dirt pedals can be fun, played for a long time with a dod American metal and got a lot of compliments about my "fuzz" tone.