help identifying some speakers (fane?)

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2753
I was just offered a cab with some old speakers in and wondered if anyone recognised them and had any thoughts  (might be tricky to tell but they reminded me of the fanes in the hiwatt cab  @gassage was selling..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    fanes are notorious difficult to date and in some cases identify. 
    Do you have anything to work with? Serial number? Markings etc?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72898
    Yes, they're old Fanes - 'Pop 50s' - with the plastic covers missing (they often fall off). The exact frame and magnet design varied slightly, I think these are later ones from the late 70s. They sound quite good but won't be very efficient, and be careful with the power rating - even the 25W someone has written on may be optimistic, let alone the supposed 50W.

Those of us who have been around a while will remember that "they're called Pop 50s because if you put 50W anywhere near them, they pop". :) I would say they're a reasonably good 15-20W speaker, roughly equivalent to a Celestion G12S-20.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What's the printed codes on them? There should be a week/year number and then a model number... You can check out the vintageamps forum. They've quite a knowledgeable hiwatt community there! Cool speakers!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2753
    Sorry - I should have updated this.   The cab was originally advertised for 80 which looked a good buy and I'd take a change on the speakers but it disappeared then reposted a week later at 160, which seemed a bit high to experiment with.    

Wisdoms though - I'm impressed with the knowledge here once again :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72898
    Even £80 was near enough at the upper limit for that. The speakers are worth about £20 each if they're definitely OK, and a homemade box isn't worth £50 really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein