Volume Pedals - What do you use - which is best for swells

What's Hot
DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
As above, i'm needing a volume pedal for those violin type swells.

Which one do you use? which is the best you've tried etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7213
    the Dunlop DVP3 is excellent. Reeeaally smooth, quite low profile, and works as an expression pedal too. Well priced on Thomann. Would recommend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
    Thank you Gav
    The Ernie Ball VP seems to be on all the instagram Prayer and Worship boards, just next to the altoids tin. That either means its really good too, or the most expensive. I think Jesus used one on his hand crafted wooden board.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I've settled on a Morley wah/volume for the past few years - was absolutely horrible stock, but I eventually bent the LEDs around into the perfect place and it's the smoothest thing for swells I've ever had.

Modded the hell out of the wah side as well, and now it's the one pedal I rarely play without.

Other than that, the Dunlop mentioned above is utterly superb.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @gavhaus How do you switch between volume and expression?
    Interesting, thanks for yr feedback
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Fuzzdog said:
    I've settled on a Morley wah/volume for the past few years - was absolutely horrible stock, but I eventually bent the LEDs around into the perfect place and it's the smoothest thing for swells I've ever had.

Modded the hell out of the wah side as well, and now it's the one pedal I rarely play without.

Other than that, the Dunlop mentioned above is utterly superb.
    That's what I need to do to mine. Agree, horrible stock
  • I have the larger DVP1, I think it is absolutely fantastic and very easy to control given how big it is.  It is bigger than a crybaby.  It doesn't have expression though, you need the DVP3 for that.  I think the DVP3 is smaller but I've never seen one in person.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26754
    I know it's not quite what you asked, but...I just use a Gruv Gear Fretwrap to mute the open strings, then tap the notes with my left hand and use the volume control on the guitar with my right. The main benefit is that it doesn't require any extra space on my board, and I'm not stuck to the location of my pedalboard on stage when I'm doing it.

Might be worth trying...?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited April 2015
    The only issue with that technique is it wouldn't be possible to have open strings ringing.  I also find my old style fret wraps get stuck easily at the nut, so have given up on pulling them over.  The old ones didn't have a reinforced hoop thing, it just swivels easily and increases the potential for snagging IME.  The new ones stay put (the colour series) as they're stitched in a way that won't let the hoop move.  I got some of the coloured ones at Christmas and much prefer them.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11920
    I have the EB MVP (buffered so no tone suck if you use the tuner out. Tip, if you want to get one, order from Amazon.com, it's about half the price.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I've got an EB VP Jr which had been modded. Works well but takes up a lot of space. The string isn't the most robust option. If I was buying again I'd probably go DVP3, although a new pedal called the Bloomery by Tapestry Audio has seriously peaked my interest. It's so much smaller yet still looks a usable size unlike the AMT. And no string to fail in sight!

I think I'm going to pick one up before they go to the full retail price.
    The Ernie Ball VP seems to be on all the instagram Prayer and Worship boards, just next to the altoids tin. That either means its really good too, or the most expensive. I think Jesus used one on his hand crafted wooden board.
    Unfortunately you are misinformed. Jesus never got to use one in his original Wisemen Band. The first known use wasn't even as a volume control but as the pedal that Noah used to control the rudder on the Ark. It was later on that the church needed money for a new roof, after the pykies stole the lead, and they decided to sell a modified pedal to try and raise funds. It was at this time that the rise of amplified church music came about and the sad demise of the rainbow guitar strap acoustic clapping that we all used to know and love.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30948
    I have discussed this at length with Pete Cornish. His view is they are predominantly all bad and suck tone, but he recommends the EB6167 (a keys pedal) with a buffer in front. I've tried it and it's Deffo the best of a bad deal.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    I have the EB MVP (buffered so no tone suck if you use the tuner out. Tip, if you want to get one, order from Amazon.com, it's about half the price.
    Wow these do look v cheap on there!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    i think the full size eb volume pedals have the best sweep and feel. Unfortunately they do suck tone, plus they are enormous and they have the string mechanism to consider too....
  • I have a VP Jr. If you can put a buffer in front of the pedal, you don't lose so much tone.
    Also, Ernie Ball pedals have a taper switch inside which changes the nature of the swell.
    And...the string mechanism is easy to replace and readily available because they're such popular pedals!
    Maybe the new DV3P is good, but I think it's the same size as the VP jr?
    edited April 2015
    ^The DVP3 does all the above, and Expression... for cheaper....
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    GavHaus said:
    I dont remember seeing one on @RaymondLin 's board
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom