Could this be a power supply issue?

What's Hot
tbmtbm Frets: 585
I've a MXR DC brick running most of the pedals on my board. All the 9 volt and one of the 18 volt outputs are being used. Of late I've noticed a loud pop when I engage pretty much any of the pedals. Is this the power supply or could it be the power in the room?

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    As far as I know, those kind of pops are usually caused by a voltage offset in your signal chain. If you have true bypass pedals, when in bypass the guitar signal happily rides along with the offset. Then when you stomp on a pedal the signal is grounded and you get a click in the signal as the voltage goes from, say, +0.8v to 0v.

The culprit could be a few things. DC on the amp's input jack, a buffered pedal not playing nicely, god playing tricks on you...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    Thanks. Something to investigate. I reckons it's God though, the bollox.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1469
    Might sound silly but have you tried stomping on them all before you switch the power supply to them on? I had the same issue with one of my board layouts and most of the time this rectified it. Something to do with static I was told.
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    Cirrus said:
    As far as I know, those kind of pops are usually caused by a voltage offset in your signal chain. If you have true bypass pedals, when in bypass the guitar signal happily rides along with the offset. Then when you stomp on a pedal the signal is grounded and you get a click in the signal as the voltage goes from, say, +0.8v to 0v.

The culprit could be a few things. DC on the amp's input jack, a buffered pedal not playing nicely, god playing tricks on you...
    +1

I had a few pops when I had a true bypass delay pedal last in my chain. I moved it so I had a buffered bypass pedal last and the pop went.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    If all the pedals are true bypass and you get the pop - or putting a buffered pedal last cures it - it's almost certain there is a DC leak from the amp's input valve. In vintage designs these are usually DC-coupled to the input jack.

Try replacing V1 in the amp. If it fixes it you can still most likely use that valve in another position - in fact if you don't have a spare valve, just try swapping V1 with any other 12AX7 in the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein