guitars with wider nuts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16999
    So .. frets are metal, all non metal nuts are comparatively soft and less zingy. Easy conclusion, all nuts should be metal.

Actually that can be a bit harsh. So lets go with all nuts should be bone. Well bone isn't consistent, and some don't find it ethical. Next conclusion, all nuts should be consistent and some nuts should be ethical.

After that it is all down to personal preference
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2999
    Practice! You even answered that in your first post!

I bet my fingers are fatter than yours and I can play a mandolin!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73155
    seany65 said:

@ICBM. I'm often confused by your replies to my posts as I don't know too much about guitars and amps and things, and while the first line of your reply does fit in with the original topic of this thread, I'm a little confused as you seem to think I have a 2015 gibson with a brass nut and you go on to recommend that I get a 2015 SG and then mention reifnishing the headstock. :-S

Has 'someone' got mixed up with the replies to 2 different posts and posted them in the wrong threads?
    No ;). What I'm saying is that if you want a wider-necked, two-humbucker, 4-knob guitar with great upper fret access and a 12"-radius board, that's exactly the description of a 2015 Gibson SG, *except* that they stupidly fitted it with robot tuners and an adjustable brass nut with *standard* string spacing.

So if you wait until the dealers are blowing them out cheap because most people can't stand them, it's an easy and not expensive job to replace the tuners and nut, and then you can have wider string spacing too.

You can if you choose also have the hideous headstock signature removed and the front refinished, which is purely cosmetic and would cost a bit more, but is least expensive if done while the nut and tuners are off.

Does that make more sense? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    Thanks again for the replies.

@WezV. Yes, I agree it's all personal preference, but I'm trying to get enough info to maske a choice, and as per usual when I think about guitar nuts, going on the ruddy interwbnet just gets me dizzy going in circles.

@Panama_Jack666. I know I answered it in my first post, but I was hoping there'd be a fairly cheap guitar which would make it easier for me.

@ICBM. I see. Thanks.  I don't really like SG's though. More importantly, even if/when the price does drop I'll still only be able to afford a picture of one if it's in a magazine.