Pedal power

What's Hot
BlazeHelmBlazeHelm Frets: 20
I've a smallish pedal board with three TC Electronics stomps, a home made TS, and a Line 6 M9. Power is a pain as the Line 6 appears to need an AC supply at 2000mA. So I run two PSUs, one for M9 and one for the stomps. I think the Line 6 PSUs is pretty noisy, and I'd like to just use one PSU for everything. Internet searches seem to have fruitless....any suggestions greatfully received
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I'm pretty super the PP2 is the only one that can handle line 6 pedals. Also I'm surprised the line 6 0su is noisy since its independent and I usually associate noise with daisy chaining?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Cioks are doing a Newport supply for small boards that's due out in a couple of weeks. It's called a DC 5 and fits under a nano or mini board. Not sure about the AC supply though
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30948
    You really need the Voodoolabs 4 x 4 or one of the Cioks

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I have the M5 in with many pedals on my Cioks Powerfactor or whatever it is called. 
    The pedal claims to need 500ma but the psu provided with it is good for 300ma and I am managing to run it on about 200ma from my psu. So I wouldn't be suprised if the M9 needs way less than the quoted 2000ma. 

@Impmann might have a better idea of its actual power draw. 

According to cioks 800ma will power the M9
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30948
    Before you heed his advice re power supplies you need to work out why he's called @meltedbuzzbox ...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    M9 uses the Line6 PX-2 (or the later, bunny-hugging PX2g) power supply. It's an AC supply unit that has been supplied with everything from the DL4 to the old Variaxes. It's always better to have an overspecc'd power supply (current rating) to what you are powering - the unit will consume what it needs leaving anything in reserve as leftovers... However the inverse is also true and you can overheat and burn out a PSU very easily if it's not man enough for the job.

I can't comment on the current draw without testing one. You can do this yourself with a decent multimeter quite easily. Google is your friend...

As for a 'noisy' power supply from Line6... That's not right. Those things are normally bullet proof and quiet - I have one that used to sit under my desk until Line6 UK closed. It was sat there for 10 years plugged in without even getting that warm - when the unit it's powering is switched off, the Psu is still chuntering away.

There have been suggestions of the Voodoo Labs unit - this was the only aftermarket power supply that we found would reliably work with Line6 gear and was the only one we used to be allowed to even mention when talking to customers about tech support.

Hope that helps
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BlazeHelmBlazeHelm Frets: 20
    Looks like the Voodoo Labs unit is probably worth looking at. Thanks guys, your help is appreciated.
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    A PP2+ will be useless if it requires AC, not to mention 800mA. A quick look at the Voodoo Labs site only shows up the Pedal Power AC, but that won't do DC at all.

I'd go with @meltedbuzzbox above, or try this:

Does a single AC output at 800mA with a bit more scope for expanding your board later on if needed.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I've never owned a m9 but have looked into it ans found this post, supposedly by Paul Coiks saying that you can power the M9 on dc power..

About 3/4 the way down..
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-850784.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlazeHelmBlazeHelm Frets: 20
    That's some very useful information thanks!