LOVE/HATE

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
My current amp, I bloody love it one week and I'm never changing ever again. Never ever ever......

Then the next week it sounds flubby and wrong so I look at Kempers again.....

I think my time would be better spent getting new ears and disconnecting from the internet. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31048
    Looking at kempers? There are help lines available. Please act before it's too late

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Tried one at the start of tge week for the first time. Sounded pretty good tbh. So light and tiny too.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    your ears never hear things the same way twice. 
    There are so many things that mess with your brain and ears all the time, especially listening to music before you play. 

If you love your amp you are best staying put. The kemper will only suffer the same fate once its at home.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited May 2015
    your ears never hear things the same way twice. 

This is so true... Like sometimes we hear Gassage say "This is the best thing ever and it's a definite keeper!" The the next time it's "I'm selling it.". It's a strange phenomenon probably brought about by an inbalance of neutrinos or the like.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Good shout on the music before jamming.
  • Also just be aware the Cliff Chase released a report online that shows owning a Kemper will give you Cancer Aids Leprosy Dick Rot. So just bear that in mind.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31048
    I honestly would be lost programming the thing

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Also just be aware the Cliff Chase released a report online that shows owning a Kemper will give you Cancer Aids Leprosy Dick Rot. So just bear that in mind.

You can't catch it all twice dude.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    When I Vacuum with my George - a Big Henry - I put cotton wool in my ears so that it does not fuck them for when I want to play guitar later...

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/5503/products/20004_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1410250055

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I'm having similar problems with my Matamp. It sounds awesome, but then it's so loud that I run it through an attenuator, which robs it of a little of the awesomeness, so then I think "would I prefer something with a master volume?", and then I play it again without the attenuator, and I love it again.

I'm in this constant dilemma between sensible volume and awesomeness.

Funny enough my Laney Lionheart sounds awesome at nearly any volume.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4315
    Even with everything being equal, same cab, same guitar same settings, my Ceriatone OTS sounds different week to week in the rehearsal studio. Incoming voltage has something to do with it. I do have a voltage meter and even a drop of 4-5 volts makes a difference.
    hywelg said:
    Even with everything being equal, same cab, same guitar same settings, my Ceriatone OTS sounds different week to week in the rehearsal studio. Incoming voltage has something to do with it. I do have a voltage meter and even a drop of 4-5 volts makes a difference.

Hhmm, that's interesting, I may try that out. Cheers.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2224
    Kempers in a studio environment are great FWIW.

Just stop buying amps/be happy with what you have.

Put the Internet down and go practice.

I've gotten so sick and tired of GAS that I basically don't have any any more. It's such a pointless thing.

Is a new amp going to make you sound better??
    No. Your playing still sucks.
    Get better at guitar and the gear all of a sudden becomes less of a restriction.
    It's not like a new amp is going to improve your note choice/technique...

(That isn't directed at you btw..)

But I do feel that a lot of guitarists could benefit from the strategy... Hehe.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited April 2015
    i put it down to what i play...there are days when i play and i dont feel inspired and dont come up with anything, and generally very lackluster playing in general...these days i think my gear sounds shit and tweak knobs endlessly...

then there are days when i play and i'm on it...coming up with new riffs and just playing well. These days i think my rig is the best rig ever and i would never sell it!

YMMV, but thats my personal view on it anyway...
    Another HATE aspect which is rearing it's head today. It's a bloody awkward huge size to carry. Once I've picked it up it's cool but my back is starting to get pains when I'm doing the washing up in the same place that hurts when I first pick the amp and flightcase up.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    Gassage said:
    I dont believe that. 

I hear this a lot re kempers and even more on the AFX.  Years ago, processors were quite difficult to program it has to be said, but with these two units ..... if you can work the knobs on an amp you can work either of these two units.  Sure if you want to delve dep you can - and there lies the fine tuning to get the intimate tone in you head, but to work with the amps themselves at the same level you work with real amps -you still have the same Gain/bass/mid/treble/presence and master volume with bright and deep switches that you'd find on most real amps.  You dont actually need to go any deeper.   The only real difference between the units is the kemper has real knobs where as the AFX as soft knobs - but there not exactly burred deep in a menu system

The same is true of the FX - at least on the AFX (dont kn ow about the kemper).  You can go super deep BUT there are real pedals modeled - with the same controls you'd find on the real pedal.
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    57Deluxe said:
    When I Vacuum with my George - a Big Henry - I put cotton wool in my ears so that it does not fuck them for when I want to play guitar later...

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/5503/products/20004_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1410250055

ah so they're Hoovers! We've had one of those knocking around for years. I thought it was a very well behaved dog that the missus had befriended.
  • Gassage said:
    As Paul said, that is such a massively old fashioned statement. You have to do zero programming to get great sounds from a Kemper or Axe FX. At minimum with the Axe FX you need to choose a favourite amp and cab and that's it. With the Kemper, if you're capable of pressing a single button to scroll through sounds you'll be fine. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    Deijavoo;620503" said:
    Another HATE aspect which is rearing it's head today. It's a bloody awkward huge size to carry. Once I've picked it up it's cool but my back is starting to get pains when I'm doing the washing up in the same place that hurts when I first pick the amp and flightcase up.
    Looks like you'd better stop doing the washing up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    I had this the other night, first two songs sounded great. Then suddenly from song three till end of set it sounded all woolley and muddy... thought my ears had "gone" so carried on...

Pre set 2 checks told the real solution: Turns out in my excitement I had turned down both the tone and volume pots on the guitar.... and only brought the volume back up...
    :(|)

Idiot.