9v to 18v adaptor

What's Hot
shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
Does anyone have any experience with the diago 9v to 18v adaptor?  Or is there a cheapskate version or method of doing the same thing?  Thinking about experimenting with 18v into my OCD.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17699
    tFB Trader
    I used to have one. 

It worked OK as far as I could tell and made my GT500 sound quite different. 
    It does however make pedals insanely loud. 
  • No experience of the diago, but if you've got a power supply with isolated outputs you can get 18v by running two 9v outputs in series. You can get cables to achieve this on ebay, or it's a fairly simple matter to make your own if you can solder.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28778
    £12 doesn't seem that much to me.

You can make a DC converter yourself using something like a MAX1044 but by the time you've added the diodes and caps, some polarity protection and put it in a box you might as well just buy it pre-made.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    You're looking for a cheapskate alternative!?!?!

Steal one I guess?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I haz one, it gets used, it does it's job well. Unless they are giving them away with cereal boxes then good value too.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Don't have an isolated power supply, I use one of those Johnny Shredfreak ones that was supposedly a clone of a diago or a 1spot.

Hehe.. I'm always looking for a cheaper way of doing something, didn't know if a generic version was available or if it would be a lot cheaper to make something.
    Certainly not cheaper if you value your time, and to be honest with the postage on the parts and the cost of the parts themselves I don't think you'd save anything making one.
  • I got the diago 9 to 18 volt converter for my 18v MXR chorus and it works fine. I also got their isolator to use with a loopstation. That died pretty quickly :( so a mixed bag with their adapters.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Never heard of trying it with the MXR modulation pedals. I might try that. I've got a couple ordered to try with my Catalinbread drive pedals. Could the issue with the isolator have been the mA required for the looper? The isolator's got quite a low rating IIRC (I wanted one for my EHX Freeze).
    That could well be it - the charge pump chips that I suspect they're using have a very limited current handling capacity, and a looper is generally a pretty thirsty bit of kit.
  • danodano Frets: 1596
    Sporky said:
    That could well be it - the charge pump chips that I suspect they're using have a very limited current handling capacity, and a looper is generally a pretty thirsty bit of kit.

I see to recall with experiments ((both in work and diy electronics) that the MAX1044 can only deliver about 30mA before it saturates. There in a Linear part with a MAX1044 pinout but a much higher current rating, but for the life of me I can't recall its number.
    ICL7660? I think that's the one I used in the Valvesporker. 30mA sounds familiar; I think the ICL (though you have to get the high switching speed version or the pumping is audible) can do up to 100mA - not quite certain on that though.
  • The loopstation (an RC2) is about 95mA IIRC and the isolator worked for the best part of a year before it gave up the ghost. I'll have to check the specs of the isolator to see if it was my fault for using it incorrectly. I certainly don't remember any stated restriction on the current it could take though...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The loopstation (an RC2) is about 95mA IIRC and the isolator worked for the best part of a year before it gave up the ghost. I'll have to check the specs of the isolator to see if it was my fault for using it incorrectly. I certainly don't remember any stated restriction on the current it could take though...

The specs say 110mA.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    The loopstation (an RC2) is about 95mA IIRC and the isolator worked for the best part of a year before it gave up the ghost. I'll have to check the specs of the isolator to see if it was my fault for using it incorrectly. I certainly don't remember any stated restriction on the current it could take though...

The specs say 110mA.
    Running a power supply at full spec is not recommended.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    How much is an 18V supply?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    about 18 volts I think.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17699
    tFB Trader
    The isolators are very limited in current. 
    Couldn't use them with a G3 as they don't output enough juice.