A few minor changes to the forum structure ...

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
You might notice (well, you will know that I'm telling y'all about it!) ...

Each of the Classifieds section headings is now prefaced with "££".  This is to make it easier to tell whether a post is an ad or not when looking at the Recent Discussions view.

There's a new sub-section in the Guitar Classifieds for "Acoustics" - as requested.  I've also moved the Parts Classifieds to become a sub-section of the Guitars Classifieds.  We'll add another sub-section for "Basses" if there's any demand for that.

Mirroring the above, the Acoustics section in Gear is now a sub-section of Guitars, as is the previously separate Bass section.

There's some more fine-tuning to come in the next week or two.

I've announced this so everyone gets to see it, but will de-announce it in a week or so.  Any problems with any of the above, please post them in this thread.  Any suggestions for more similar tidy-up changes, post them here too.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BodBod Frets: 1317
    Thanks Tony.  Some of the classifieds are prefixed, but others are suffixed.  Is that for a specific reason?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24556
    Why are they called "Child"
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    It's just a parent / child hierarchical relationship in the forum's structure.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    New members might think it means beginner or safe for kids, no bad language etc
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    TTony said:
    That sounds faintly unsavoury. 
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    TTony said:
    We'll add another sub-section for "Basses" if there's any demand for that.
    That's crazy talk.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11464
    Surely the Guitars section should have Electrics as a subsection under it.
  • TTony said:
    Use the term "sub"??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

TTony said:
    Use the term "sub"??
    That would be far better.

But even so, the new layout looks shit.
  • I made the point in the other thread too but tapping child categories on the mobile version is a little bit frustrating now unless you're really accurate.  I usually browse with my thumb, phone in portrait mode, and hitting the smaller child categories is a bit like this -

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The child categories SUCK BALLS.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17657
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    The child categories SUCK BALLS.
    I am coming around to this point of view.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's even more annoying that that.

In the old list I could see if my comment was still at the top, and not bother to check the entire section as I'd seen it already.

Now that information is hidden.

It sucks donkey balls.
  • Yeah I browse from the category view and can no longer see if there are new posts in child sections.  Is there any benefit to the child categories that I'm unaware of?  I don't see any improvements at all with the way I use the forum, only negatives.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    Yeah I browse from the category view and can no longer see if there are new posts in child sections.  Is there any benefit to the child categories that I'm unaware of?  I don't see any improvements at all with the way I use the forum, only negatives.
    The (intended) benefit was to split out topics that are relatively small within the major category, so that they don't get swamped.

So, eg1, splitting out Acoustics from the main Guitar section because there are relatively few discussions about Acoustics and the few that are posted are rapidly pushed off the bottom of the first page by the far more numerous discussions about electrics.

Eg2, in the Making & Modding section, there's often a sub-heading that groups together the current M&M challenge threads, rather than requiring the people who are participating to hunt through the longer list of general M&M posts to see the relevant threads.

We could have created new parent level categories but (a) they would be pretty quiet until or unless they because similarly popular (and having visibly quiet sections is something that we're trying to avoid) and (b) it makes the list of categories longer, uses more screen space, which then causes people to have to scroll further to see the categories at the bottom of the list (and that's not popular either).

Actually, argument (b) is flawed because of the way the child categories are currently displayed in the left side-bar list of categories, but we'd like to sort that out!

It's true - now, if you want to see the discussions in the Acoustics category, you have to click on the Acoustics sub-heading, but then that's just the same whether it's included as a sub-section of Guitars or a main section alongside Guitars.  And at least those people who want to post/read about Acoustics can do so without having to search through pages of other posts, as their posts get rapidly relegated down the list of recent posts.

The change was prompted by some requests specifically for us to do that.  Which just goes to prove that we can't please all of the people all of the time.
    What you talking about Tone?

Before this abomination "Acoustics" and "Bass" had their own visible sections on the Home page.

They may well have been Sub forums in the hidden code, but they were there on the Home page, just like FX and Amps are now.

I fully appreciate you want to hide Acoustics and Bass as those sections make the rest feel inferior - but c'mon! Give the plebs easy access to their gods!
  • TTony said:
    Yeah I browse from the category view and can no longer see if there are new posts in child sections.  Is there any benefit to the child categories that I'm unaware of?  I don't see any improvements at all with the way I use the forum, only negatives.
    The (intended) benefit was to split out topics that are relatively small within the major category, so that they don't get swamped.

So, eg1, splitting out Acoustics from the main Guitar section because there are relatively few discussions about Acoustics and the few that are posted are rapidly pushed off the bottom of the first page by the far more numerous discussions about electrics.

Eg2, in the Making & Modding section, there's often a sub-heading that groups together the current M&M challenge threads, rather than requiring the people who are participating to hunt through the longer list of general M&M posts to see the relevant threads.

We could have created new parent level categories but (a) they would be pretty quiet until or unless they because similarly popular (and having visibly quiet sections is something that we're trying to avoid) and (b) it makes the list of categories longer, uses more screen space, which then causes people to have to scroll further to see the categories at the bottom of the list (and that's not popular either).

Actually, argument (b) is flawed because of the way the child categories are currently displayed in the left side-bar list of categories, but we'd like to sort that out!

It's true - now, if you want to see the discussions in the Acoustics category, you have to click on the Acoustics sub-heading, but then that's just the same whether it's included as a sub-section of Guitars or a main section alongside Guitars.  And at least those people who want to post/read about Acoustics can do so without having to search through pages of other posts, as their posts get rapidly relegated down the list of recent posts.

The change was prompted by some requests specifically for us to do that.  Which just goes to prove that we can't please all of the people all of the time.

Ok thanks for the reply.

I don't really see why they can't be their own parent categories.  I thought they were previously just because of how they appeared - acoustic and bass section have had their own heading for as long as I remember, you could see the last post, you could easily press them with your thumb on mobile (my biggest issue if I'm honest!).

I don't see visibly quiet sections as an issue (some of the playing sections are pretty slow too, and not child categorised) - plus making them smaller isn't going to increase traffic to them either so I guess I fail to see what the real benefit is here.

Appreciate you can't please everyone, but I don't see how any of this helps except for hiding 'slow traffic' type sections from the front page and making for slightly less scrolling.  Scrolling down really isn't much effort, but having to be accurate when using a mobile with your thumb does take effort and is actually annoying.  

I really don't see how a tiny amount of scrolling outweighs ease of use for people browsing on mobile (which is probably a lot of people as a guess).  I flip between desktop, mobile and iPad, currently these new changes are definitely worse on mobile.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It was fine the way it was.

I don't recall there being much outrage about how everything was laid out. I certainly never saw any feature requests to this effect.
  • I'm glad someone cleared up what the 'child' categories were because for ages the only one I spotted was the parodies category and I thought it was someone expressing their disgust.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2428
    I like the new classifieds' child categories, it seperates the wheat from the chaff, and I browse mostly on my phone, with my thumb, and I have no problem hitting the link at all.