NOMD

That's a Octave Mandola.

The lower string tension makes it a lot easier to play than my, admittedly cheap, mandolin. 
All solid and a really nice tone.
In jazz, no one can hear you scream
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    Seems like a lot of instrument for the money!

It's nice that we can get decent stuff in the mandolin/folk family of instruments at such a good price these days. I've never owned an octave mandolin but have a bouzouki. Obviously the OM would be a better bet for tunes and you can easily drop it down to GDAD or ADAD for zouk-like drone/accompaniment playing.

Enjoy!
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    Good choice, I've had 2 mandolins and had to sell them both because the string tension.
  • I went shopping for the OM as coming from a mandolin background I mainly play tunes. 
    I did play a couple of zouks whilst I was in the shop and found it to be a bit of a stretch. But at those sorts of prices I can see myself getting one at some point.

You can get good gear at a reasonable price. Sometimes it pays to not be as fashionable as a guitar :)

• Good choice, I've had 2 mandolins and had to sell them both because the string tension.
    The string tension on this is a lot lower than my mandolin. I guess a tenor mandola would probably be between the two.

Having lots of fun with it at the moment. 
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    That looks brilliant! Great purchase!