First vintage amp - what and why?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I had the Bassman pedal briefly and it was awful. Ive had vintage and RI Bassmans, and it sounded nothing like either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72897
    I had the Bassman pedal briefly and it was awful. Ive had vintage and RI Bassmans, and it sounded nothing like either.
    I have admit it looks so awful that I've always avoided trying one just in case I did like it, so that does set my mind at ease somewhat :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited April 2015
    My first (and still current amp) is a 1964 Vox AC-30. I bought it back in 1989 for peanuts as no one wanted Voxes then, and that is really the secret with a vintage amp. Go unfashionable for good tone. :)

And it's the only way you'll get that old amp smell.

Edited to add the photo. The "V" has dropped off now. My drummer calls it "the Mighty Ox" as he can hit as hard as he wants :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I gigged a '69 Bassman 50 head for two years solid, don't need 6-8 gigs a month, no issues with it at all. I then changed to a '72 Dual Showman Reverb, gigged it the same, again no issued with it whatsoever.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4315
    ThePrettyDamned;612469" said:

My df-2 is excellent, and I'm getting into muffs
    Fnarrr Fnarrr

Seriously though if vintage Fender appeals you've got to try a DrZ EZG. It is BF Super AB763 circuit with a better OT and minor tweaks to tighten the bottom end.

If you want to try one and are close enough join in my amp demo day in Nottingham

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/39465/amp-demo-day-idea-midlands#latest

Bring your own pedals and.guitar and wind it right up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bassman amps are great (I use one myself). I really love Silverface amps, they all weigh about the same as the moon but they sound great and as mentioned before they take pedals like a champ.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    hywelg said:
    ThePrettyDamned;612469" said:

My df-2 is excellent, and I'm getting into muffs
    Fnarrr Fnarrr

Seriously though if vintage Fender appeals you've got to try a DrZ EZG. It is BF Super AB763 circuit with a better OT and minor tweaks to tighten the bottom end.

If you want to try one and are close enough join in my amp demo day in Nottingham

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/39465/amp-demo-day-idea-midlands#latest

Bring your own pedals and.guitar and wind it right up.
    if you want to "out Fender" a fender you go for a hiwatt. 
    All the big beautiful cleans with out the ice pick trebles. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Currently gigging an old 70s WEM dominator mk2 bass, it cost me £150 quid and sounds lovely with a strat.
    Also have a Vox V-15 for smaller gigs, or when i want to make a lot of trebley overdrive less loudly, and without pedals.
    And an old Fender red-knob super-60, which is loud, heavy and lovely.

All cheap, all reliable, and all brilliant and old.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I'll just say, don't listen to any vintage-amp-reliability doom-mongers above. Sometimes amps break down. When they do, any good amp tech can fix them as good as new. If you get a vintage amp, if you are feeling nervous you can get a tech to look it over and make sure all is as it should be. You can do the same thing when you get a non-vintage amp (remember, a vintage amp is any amp manufactured before the 1st of January 1974), but you don't need to because non-vintage amps don't break down. At all.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1785
    EdGrip said:
    I'll just say, don't listen to any vintage-amp-reliability doom-mongers above. Sometimes amps break down. When they do, any good amp tech can fix them as good as new. If you get a vintage amp, if you are feeling nervous you can get a tech to look it over and make sure all is as it should be. You can do the same thing when you get a non-vintage amp (remember, a vintage amp is any amp manufactured before the 1st of January 1974), but you don't need to because non-vintage amps don't break down. At all.
    Where's that definition from?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.