Seagull S6 Spruce Vs Yamaha LL6

What's Hot
ForgeForge Frets: 431
Has anyone tried both?

The Seagull is laminate wild cherry b/s with solid sitka spruce top while the Yam is laminate rosewood b/s with a softer solid Engelmann spruce top...tone wise they should be in the same ballpark, maybe with more brightness from the Seagull due to the materials?

In terms of playability both necks are wide-ish and have a comparable scale/radius. If think the gull has a deeper neck...so which one would you go for? The refined Asian or rustic Canadian?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    edited April 2015
    whats your price range?

Personally I dont like any steel strung acoustic Yamaha do under £1500
    The seagulls are great. 

Faith are always worth a look too. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    The budget is about £400, I don't want to spend too much as I always end up selling my acoustic.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    I've got an LL6 it's a fine guitar for the money. Ebony board as well on the old models.
    I've never played a Seagull though sorry. My only negative on the LL6 is the scale length of 650mm, I would have preferred the Martin style of 645mm, but that is a very minor gripe. The LL6 is basically a modern version the LL11 :

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I have an LL6 from 03/04 i bought new. Its fantastic. Also, i appear to have lucked out and got a surprisingly lovely looking piece of wood on mine but obviously i dont know if theyre all like that. Apparently, their sound is an aquired taste but i cant say ive noticed it being that different     
  • SRichSRich Frets: 764
    edited April 2015
    I've had a Seagull S6+Spruce for 10 years and it's a terrific all-rounder - the spruce gives it more projection and, now that it's well played in, it retained the projection and has 'mellowed'. Nice woods too. Mine has a very sparse finish to it - it now looks much older and vintage. 

As far as the neck goes, you'd really have to play one. For a while the width gave me trouble and I thought it would have to go, but I'm cool with it now......nowadays mine lives downstairs to pick up when I'm watching TV.

Plus they are relatively inexpensive..or were then.....? I think I paid £200 from the Banbury dealer.

Never played a Yam though......

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    edited April 2015
    SRich said:
    I've had a Seagull S6+Spruce for 10 years and it's a terrific all-rounder - the spruce gives it more projection and, now that it's well played in, it retained the projection and has 'mellowed'. Nice woods too. Mine has a very sparse finish to it - it now looks much older and vintage. 

As far as the neck goes, you'd really have to play one. For a while the width gave me trouble and I thought it would have to go, but I'm cool with it now......nowadays mine lives downstairs to pick up when I'm watching TV.

Plus they are relatively inexpensive..or were then.....? I think I paid £200 from the Banbury dealer.

Never played a Yam though......

They're about £400 now, I need to drag my ass in Leicester to try both. I used to have a Lakewood which sounded great but was not particularly enjoyable to play and a Takamine EN which was the exact opposite!
    Ok, I picked up a nearly new Seagull Coastline Spruce S6, action is a bit high with a light bow so I'll have to tweak the truss rod and the bridge a tad. Tone wise it is as nice as I have heard from my previous high end guitars. I have read they come with a pretty high action from the factory and usually need a setup to be to the owners' taste.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 764
    Congrats.......HNGD

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    Truss rod sorted, now the neck under tension is near straight with a touch of relief. The saddle has been delicately sanded resulting in an action of 2.8mm E 12th fret and 1.8m e 12fret. There is still margin to lower further but I will let the guitar settle for a few days before adjusting but it sounds good and does not buzz at all even under heavy strumming (sorry had to do my rendition of fake plastic trees...). The pins are plastic and that annoyed me so I got a set of Tusq pins on the way to match the Graphtec saddle and nut. So far so good, I like the Seagull much more than me old Lakewood.