The Darkness...

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27698
...and their exploding drummers. In true Spinal Tap form, they hired a new drummer, Emily Dolan Davies, for the new album, and she left a couple of weeks ago. So they've hired Roger Taylor's son, Rufus, who, one would assume is a fairly good drummer.

I've lost count tbh.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'd rather listen to Meg White fart on a Remo Pinstripe.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Doesnt Taylors sone actually drum for 'queen' and his dad does one or two songs?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Didn't the original drummer have to quit due to a bad back, then reemerge with the Stone Gods when they were about?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6235
    Drew_fx said:
    I'd rather listen to Meg White fart on a Remo Pinstripe.
    Funny, I think I found a picture of her doing just that!

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Id let Meg White fart on me.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    I heard their most recent song on Planet Rock. I thought it sounded good, and it seems they've stopped trying to be a novelty act and take themselves seriously again. Heck, if they do a few more decent tracks I might get their album!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    mike_l said:
    Didn't the original drummer have to quit due to a bad back, then reemerge with the Stone Gods when they were about?
    Not quite. During the recording of the 2nd album they fired bassist Frankie Poullain. Then their guitar tech Richie Edwards replaced him. The band disbanded in 2006 due to all the drug problems that kinda just blew up. Not long after, Stone Gods emerged. The only two original The Darkness members in Stone Gods were Dan Hawkins and Ed Graham (drummer). Ed Graham stepped down from Stone Gods due to his hip problems and was replaced by Robin Goodridge (of Bush). Meanwhile, Justin Hawkins was off doing Hot Leg (who were utter shite by the way). Then The Darkness reformed in 2012, original line-up, and then life went on with the Hot Cakes album and a world tour. New year, new album on the way, tour on the horizon, Emily Dolan Davies in, Ed Graham out, then Emily out and Rufus in. 

The album is shaping up to be much better than the two in between Permission to Land. 

But it will never be Permission to Land. :(

I can't wait, personally. :D

Meg White is a shit drummer. She just hits things. So trashy. I don't dislike the White Stripes but nobody can deny she's a terrible drummer, and I hope that she was just bluffing and doing that trashy drumming just for the White Stripes because that's the only band it's ever worked for! :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    I always assumed Meg was the drummer in White Stripes because she had big tits.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27698
    Meg White was the perfect drummer for the White Stripes. She'd have been rubbish in Metallica, but Ulrich would've been worse in the White Stripes. So what?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17874
    tFB Trader
    I agree that technically she's abysmal, but the one thing people don't give Meg White for is her skill in listening and reacting. 

The White Stripes don't use set lists and have a lot of improvisation within their set so Meg is continually having to respond to what Jack is playing. A lot of drummers I've played with would criticise her, but are totally reliant on canned fills and songs learned by rote and will quite happily carry on playing the wrong part when they cock up because they don't listen and respond.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    I hated the second Darkness album so much, then watched the band's (and particularly Justin's) pathetic collapse and the ropey projects that followed... I pretty much washed my hands of them.

I must confess, not only did I think the new album had already been released, I'd completely forgotten they released a third album a couple of years ago.   I suppose I should give it a chance on Spotify.

Philly_Q said:
    I hated the second Darkness album so much, then watched the band's (and particularly Justin's) pathetic collapse and the ropey projects that followed... I pretty much washed my hands of them.

I must confess, not only did I think the new album had already been released, I'd completely forgotten they released a third album a couple of years ago.   I suppose I should give it a chance on Spotify.

It's a mostly good album, there's some "wtf?" moments (refer to "Every Inch of You"), some epic moments (refer to the cover "Street Spirit (Fade Out)"), some hard rocking moments (refer to "With a Woman"), some 'oh they ran out of witty lyricism - all filler, no killer' moments (refer to "Love is not the Answer"), some annoyingly radio-friendly moments (refer to "Everybody Have a Good Time")... It's a very varied album. In a way some of the bonus tracks (Cannonball, and I Can't Believe It's Not Love...) were better than the main album tracks. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    Tour dates released and tickets on sale Friday! I'll be going to Norwich or Cambridge. Let's rock. \m/
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    I heard 'Open Fire' again on Planet Rock this afternoon - if I hear another good track then maybe I'll go get the album when it comes out. Is it true that it's a concept album?
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    Wulfhere said:
    I heard 'Open Fire' again on Planet Rock this afternoon - if I hear another good track then maybe I'll go get the album when it comes out. Is it true that it's a concept album?
    I don't think it has been dubbed a concept album as such but it's easy to see why people would say that! I don't think it will matter much. I think it's going to be the best thing they did since Permission to Land. 

The songs are largely based around Viking/medieval themes though, it has been said. It's something that has been talked about by the band in passing in interviews for a few years, that they'd do something with a 'medieval' theme and something a bit heavier but it's never surfaced until this album.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Meg White is a good drummer. Its not always about being Neil Peart. Groove, timing, reacting to what Jack did. She was perfect for that band. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    Philly_Q said:

It's a mostly good album, there's some "wtf?" moments (refer to "Every Inch of You"), some epic moments (refer to the cover "Street Spirit (Fade Out)"), some hard rocking moments (refer to "With a Woman"), some 'oh they ran out of witty lyricism - all filler, no killer' moments (refer to "Love is not the Answer"), some annoyingly radio-friendly moments (refer to "Everybody Have a Good Time")... It's a very varied album. In a way some of the bonus tracks (Cannonball, and I Can't Believe It's Not Love...) were better than the main album tracks. 

I listened to it last night (then went back and listened to Permission to Land for reference/comparison, because I hadn't played it for years).  I'm not sure what to make of it, it's certainly all over the place stylistically but I didn't actively dislike it.  I think they're at their best - by far - when just rocking hard rather than trying to be quirky or funny.  And I do really like some of their guitar sounds!

I must admit I now find Justin's vocal mannerisms extremely irritating, which didn't used to be the case.  Back in their heyday I always defended them against the "joke band" accusations, now I think I'd have to say they veer dangerously close....

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    Samgb;632611" said:
    Meg White is a good drummer. Its not always about being Neil Peart. Groove, timing, reacting to what Jack did. She was perfect for that band. 
    Funnily enough I think Peart can often have a worrying lack of groove, at least on record. It's just one perfect hit following the last perfect hit. When I saw the White Stripes live I thought Meg's kick timing was horrible, but in the context of the music that didn't even matter really because what's the kick got to be tight with?
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Meg White was the perfect drummer for the White Stripes. She'd have been rubbish in Metallica, but Ulrich would've been worse in the White Stripes. So what?
    He's not even good in Metallica!
    The new album can now be streamed at various streaming websites (I think Deezer is one...?) 

It's great. Much much much better than Hot Cakes. 

Hot Cakes was too wishy-washy for me, bit too much of everything. There was some great songs on that album but there was a lot of shit, a lot of filler. This doesn't have a duff song on it in my opinion.

For those of you who wanted something a bit heavier, go listen to "Roaring Waters" and even more so "Mighty Wings". 

There's some real Thin Lizzy bits popping up through the album with the guitars. I really like the general vibe of the album.