Recommend me a set of nut files from eBay or UK shop

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    p90fool said:

I use welding tip files. I've used them for years despite having a proper set of fret files. They give a nice round (not V) shape to the nut.

£1.80

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GAXB3XE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/277-6456257-0398905?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=18TWTJ77QVG17ZPGRX08&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B004OTU292

That's what I use. They're no good for cutting nuts from scratch but they're fine for adjusting existing slots.
    How narrow do they go, gauge wise? 
    Down to around a 5 or 6 ( if strings were to be sold in that gauge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406

I use welding tip files. I've used them for years despite having a proper set of fret files. They give a nice round (not V) shape to the nut.

£1.80

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GAXB3XE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/277-6456257-0398905?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=18TWTJ77QVG17ZPGRX08&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B004OTU292

Yeah - same here. Although they don't last long - a couple of jobs and you need a  new set.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Even if they only last a couple of uses, which is all I think I will need them for, I could replace them 45 times for the cost of a crimson version, although granted that wouldn't be very green.

It is however very unlikely that I will own that many guitars, purely because the divorce costs would bleed the GAS fund dry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Wulfhere said:
    I got the Crimson ones but I can't tell you yet if they're any good because I haven't used them yet. They've got nice wooden handles though.
    I think the wooden-handled ones you mention are their individual files, which I haven't seen either, but would guess are comparable to StewMac and Hosco. There's a separate swiss-army-like set with different gauges all folding up together which is probably good value if it's any good and you only do occasional work. They're probably more likely inspired by the feeler gauge idea than actually feeler gauges.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    At £90 those Crimson files aren't cheap. I think I'd rather send off for some of the thinner Stewmac files.
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    edited May 2015
    If you have no intention with working with bone or ivory they I highly recommend the tools for cleaning the tips of gas welders like :

Like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/170861286704?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

or:

http://www.ac-one.co.uk/swp-nozzle-cleaners-12209-p.asp?gclid=CM7j6eqMosUCFWvMtAodaWQA2w

They are extremely cheap and work wonders on synthetic material and plastics, however they are rubbish on bone and ivory.

I would avoid the Stewmac ones like a $2.00 whore with syphilis, they are over priced cheap and shitty and will far apart if they don't wear out first, and we are talking about failing in weeks, not months.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • matonematone Frets: 216
    I bought a set of Norman`s Files off Ebay,He`s based in Texas and it`s a clever set that gauges setup as well as being files for guitar and bass.Think the set cost about £50 delivered.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Well my £1.80 welding cleaners arrived today and I have put them to use.

I never ceases to amaze me how such a little change at the nut effects playability. (For the better)

While they did I the job, the b and e strings were a little slow as the metal file for these is like a guitar string and a little flimsy. I certainly wouldn't look forward to doing them again Any time soon.

I now see the worth in a proper set of files, whether I justify spending £89 on a Crimson set is another matter.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I've used the welders ones and hated it. The best budget method I found was some jewelers files anda modeling knife/scalpel. The scalpel does the B and E, run it back and forth then scrape it to round out the profile. While the triangular file does the other strings. Then use the round file to round out the groove and a guitar string of the desired gauge to give it a final shaping. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I've tried those welding tip cleaners and they're complete rubbish. They're far too short, they've got no cutting power and they're far too flexible to make any appreciable difference to anything harder than a marshmallow. Complete waste of time.
  • howard_moonhoward_moon Frets: 17
    I picked these up a couple of years ago and they've been smashing even for my cack handedness.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_4449ep1_rasp_set.htm
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    edited May 2015
    I use some called UO-CHIKYU marked "Made in Hiroshima, Japan". There a 8 files from 10-56. Usually 2-3 strokes is enough. Pretty sure I bought them off ebay for about £70 a few years ago. They made me realise that the welding tip cleaners I'd tried to use were nonsense.

Edit - Can only find 6 file sets now. Crafty of them to make you buy more than one set!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    Dalefty said:

I would avoid the Stewmac ones like a $2.00 whore with syphilis, they are over priced cheap and shitty and will far apart if they don't wear out first, and we are talking about failing in weeks, not months.

Just for balance. 

I use some of the stew-mac  double sided nut files and have had the same set for over 10 years.  They have been used on a minimum of 1 guitar a week in that time.

One of them snapped when i used it to open a tin, but it still has most of its length and is still usable.   They all still cut absolutely fine

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    The quality control of all long thin tools should include the 'can they lever the top off a tin of paint' test. The number of times I've bent things doing that :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Chalky said:
    The quality control of all long thin tools should include the 'can they lever the top off a tin of paint' test. The number of times I've bent things doing that :)
    There's a small paring knife in the kitchen of my (rented) flat. I know it's mine because it has the tip broken off where I used it to pry apart some frozen meat. Or at least I did, until I found mine which hadn't been unpacked. The same model of knife with the same break. Probably trying to do the same thing...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom