The man-cave is built. (Now with pics)

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
edited May 2015 in Making & Modding
The corner of the garage that will be forever Jalapeno Guitars is done, secured the bench to the wall, installed the angle-poise lights, and put up some magnetic tool racks.

Felt so up for it that I then Christened it by fettling my "vintage" Tele:

- Cut a new nut, I have to say I think it went pretty swimmingly (a couple of bone flakes, but of the machine head side).  Think the B string might have a double furrow groove - so back for a light pass of the G string file tomorrow.

- Also ground down the saddle grub screws as they were stupidly high - that was fun !  metal filings everywhere !

It's feeling great now

A good day ! :)
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Pics or its a lie. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    Not tonight - I'm jiggered - over the weekend

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Jalapeno;617688" said:
    You absolute bastard. You know we're pic whores. Guitars, cars, deformities, corners of garages. Pics required. ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27825
    Jalapeno said:
    Tease ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Yeah Baby, Yeah !

Feedback
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6221
    Garage? ... without the pics.. it's the outside loo innit?

Bit of wood on top of the loo-seat as a worktop.  See you ain't foolin' no one. :P
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Now with added pics ! :P

Feedback
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7649
    Brilliant
    Red ones are better. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27825
    Where's the fridge?

And the sound system?

:D

You get a tick for the stool though.  And two ticks for the Slug Off.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16858
    hmm.  I need a stool in mine!

Also I have been thinking about better tool storage yesterday when tidying the workshop because I really am a messy git

The magnetic strips look good, but are the bulkier tools secure on them if/when the wall gets knocked?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7649
    Mick, by later this year you are going to need a comfy chair too for your visitor to hang out in ... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Cool. Can't beat having a dedicated tinkering space.

Might want to think about the storage on the left. Cupboards can be a pain - they always seem to end up full of crap that's hard to get out. I find open shelving better. The wire stuff with lots of height increments is good...

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/Nomad_Zamani/Misc/Wire%20Shelving_zpsixws2pzb.jpg

That's lighter stuff than the usual heavy duty chromed type, but it seems to be fine. Pretty cheap at Argos...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7001040.htm

I got a sheet of thin ply from B&Q, got them to cut it into shelf-sized bits, and put them onto the shelves (after cutting clearance at the corners). Works very well. I wanted height so that there would be shelving above the tool chest, but still have room above the chest to open the lid. The shelves are made such that the main wire shelving area is lower than the thicker wire around the edges, so the ply fits in and doesn't slide about (measure carefully and subtract 1-2mm to ensure the cut panels will fit).

No workshop radio? The retro-style Bush ones with the big dial on the front are pretty good - nice tone and mains powered (and look great).

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

WezV said:
    The magnetic strips look good, but are the bulkier tools secure on them if/when the wall gets knocked?
    One thing to keep in mind about magnetic strips is that the tools can become magnetised. Can be useful for screwdrivers, but swarf and filings from ferrous metals will stick to them. I certainly wouldn't put files on magnets (clog central if you file any steel).

Nomad

TimmyO said:
    Mick, by later this year you are going to need a comfy chair too for your visitor to hang out in ... 
    Consider it sorted - firdge, sounds, comfy chair .....

Feedback
    Nomad said:

Cool. Can't beat having a dedicated tinkering space.

Might want to think about the storage on the left. Cupboards can be a pain - they always seem to end up full of crap that's hard to get out. I find open shelving better. The wire stuff with lots of height increments is good...

That's an old solid oak dresser, cupboards for powertools only, loads or drawer space plus the monster set of shelves for bits ..... think it's covered - speaking of covers, I need bbq and furniture all year round covers and the garage'll be mega spacious - bit cramped ATM.
    Nomad said:
    WezV said:
    One thing to keep in mind about magnetic strips is that the tools can become magnetised. Can be useful for screwdrivers, but swarf and filings from ferrous metals will stick to them. I certainly wouldn't put files on magnets (clog central if you file any steel).

Feedback
    Nomad said:
    WezV said:
    Good point - but they're all nut/bridge files ;)

Feedback
    WezV said:
    hmm.  I need a stool in mine!
    Ebay - farsands of 'em £70-£80

Also I have been thinking about better tool storage yesterday when tidying the workshop because I really am a messy git

Wall get knocked ?  It's brick built - if the wall got knocked the whole thing would be coming down !

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    That's an old solid oak dresser, cupboards for powertools only, loads or drawer space plus the monster set of shelves for bits ..... think it's covered -

Whatever works for you. :) If I have cupboards, stuff disappears, I forget I own them and end up buying new ones.

Jalapeno said:
    ... - speaking of covers, I need bbq and furniture all year round covers and the garage'll be mega spacious - bit cramped ATM.

Good idea, but mega spacious won't last. I used to have mega spacious garage and spare room workshops, now I have two shit piles (@WezV, you are not alone...). Still, at least they're full of tools, equipment and materials rather than stupid things like furniture.

Nomad

Jalapeno said:
    Good point - but they're all nut/bridge files ;)
    Yeah, just something to keep in mind. I have a lathe and a milling machine, and do work steel now and then, and ferrous swarf can be a minor hassle.

Nomad

• WezVWezV Frets: 16858
    Jalapeno said:

Wall get knocked ?  It's brick built - if the wall got knocked the whole thing would be coming down !

this is mine, also brick
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/temporary_zps1c8c87cb.jpg

those saws hanging on the wall have been known to fall off when sawing something on the bench
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom