Oops...

digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26808
Don't you hate it when you spend ages looking for a pedal to no avail, then an acceptable compromise turns up. The day after you buy it, the original pedal turns up at a bargainous price?

I was looking for a Carl Martin Hydra just for an always-on boost to compensate for the lower output of my new pickups a bit...couldn't find one and ended up with a Boo Boost instead from the classifieds on here.

A Hydra just turned up on eBay for £35. I may have just bought it.

Oops.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17698
    tFB Trader
    Now you have more gain = WIN!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26808
    edited October 2013
    Now you have more gain = WIN!
    Indeed...the original idea was to put a clean, flat boost after my tuner but before the wah (I've had a signal chain reshuffle) just to give the pickups a tiny boost.

Now I'm tempted to put the Hydra (up to 15dB of boost, but I'll only be using about 3dB of it) between the tuner and wah, and stick the Boo (up to 28dB boost) at the end before the preamp. It also works out better in terms of organising my board, because the Boo Boost has the power socket in a stupid position (right-hand front corner) which makes a mess of my wiring and means I have to stretch cables. The Hydra is far more sensible and has it at the back.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D
    <space for hire>
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    an always-on boost to compensate for the lower output of my new pickups a bit...
    Wouldn't this just cancel out the benefits of lower output pickups though?
  • daveyh said:
    an always-on boost to compensate for the lower output of my new pickups a bit...
    Wouldn't this just cancel out the benefits of lower output pickups though?
    Not really - you still get the additional clarity, and the lower magnet strength helps in terms of sustain on the guitar itself.
    <space for hire>