What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
Do I get the 15's or 17's

My band is loud as f***
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I've got the 15's and play in pretty loud bands and tech at some pretty loud gigs - I've even had to fix bits of metal bands drum kit in full flight with some in and they've always been great. The 15's give me the right balance between protection and not having the isolation that enevitably happens with plugs.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    Hmmmm ok

I assumed everyone would say 17's

Had a scare this afternoon - played a 45 min set at a festival without my plugs (old and shitty in ear moulds)

We've got our stage volume so low now that I hardly ever use plugs these days, but the stage levels were out of my hands this afternoon- I got totally blasted by this 4x12 stack I had to play through - I turned it right down and the tech just pumped more of it through all the wedges - Arrrgh

LOTS of noise in left ear tonight - hope it's not too late
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Mmmm, Funnily enough, I had a similar situation to yourself which prompted me to get some new ones made.

Obviously, give your ears a break for a few days and see how it is. 

I very rarely do a gig without them or in-ears now, I find the 15's just take the edge of any of the nasties that can damage the ears but still gives me some 'vibe'.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27165
    I have the 17s and if anything I found them a smidgen too quiet, but if your lot are really really loud the 15s might not be enough. If you're not singing then I'd definitely go 17s.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I have the 15's too and have used them with a variety of bands. I wouldn't want any more attenuation than the 15's offer, seems ample to me.
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    i'm still suffering the ringy ting ting effects of standing right next to the drummers crash all night and that was 3 1/2 years ago.
    i think mine are 15's but i always pop the good ear plug out a little to compensate for the bad ear which when it gets too loud it sounds like someones blowing on tracing paper into your eardrum!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited May 2015
    17s for me but I do already have tinnitus. They provide a large level of attenuation but the clarity is still excellent through the filters. I am always amazed when I take them out at the noise levels in the room. Best £140 ever spent on gear.

When the damage is done to your ears unfortunately they do not repair themselves. 

Protect your ears boys and girls thanks me later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Mine are 17s and at times I do struggle to hear my guitar. They're good though. Though I'd have loved to have tried 15s.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    Thanks for the reminder about these, checked the site and there is 15% off until tomorrow (MAYDAY15), ordered some 15's :)
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    I use 26's, they're absolutely fabulous!!
    Wow cheers for the heads up on the voucher Just ordered some neon orange 15's
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    I use 26s as our drummer is LOUD
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    Acs let you change the filters for free in the first thirty days.

I'd go for 17s myself.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    26s here. Wouldn't use anything else with the drummers I've played with recently.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'm tempted to order some new in ears while they have a discount offer.

Just a thought - if anyone has the custom moulds as iem's - how practical would they be as ear protection for when I play with bands using floor wedges only?  I suspect the attenuation is too much to be useable and I'd be better with a separate pair of earplugs.

What's the turn around time like if I get boots to take some impressions?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8747
    @John_P. I use both IEMs and plug (obviously for different purposes). I like moulded plugs because they cut out the sound so effectively, but standard IEMs because they allow the environment to bleed through, and are consequently less isolating.  Whether moulded IEMs would work as plugs depends on what your stage levels are.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Roland said:
    @John_P. I use both IEMs and plug (obviously for different purposes). I like moulded plugs because they cut out the sound so effectively, but standard IEMs because they allow the environment to bleed through, and are consequently less isolating.  Whether moulded IEMs would work as plugs depends on what your stage levels are.
    Usually the answer to that is loud or even louder...  and I've got a dep gig next friday with a band that are even louderer.    

My iem's are standard push in rather than custom moulded but I've been meaning to get another set of moulds for ages and it would save some cash to have something I could use both ways.   I might try the standard iems as plugs and see how they do while I'm waiting to sort some moulds...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8747
    Good plan
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    Finally got the moulds done yesterday (after a failed appointment, wax in one ear, lovely!) what a freaky experience, the foam on string they push in, touched a 'facial nerve' which then made my throat hurt and me cough quite a bit!

ACS must have received them this morning, as I've had a confirmation email stating the ETA is going to be the 4th of June all going well :)
    I still haven't had the damn moulds done - never seem to have the bloody time