OM for flatpick/strumming?

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2502
I've currently got a Furch Durango G (Grand Auditorium), which I love, but I've spied a beautiful Furch OM35SR on Rguitars which I'm very tempted by. 

I love Furch guitars, but the Vintage series appeals much more to me than the Millennium series, and the grand auditorium body shape isn't available on the the Vintage series, so I've basically got the option of a dreadnought or an OM, or a round shouldered dreadnought which I've never tried before.

I play both fingerstyle and with a pick, but mostly with a pick, and I'm wondering if an OM will work for this, or would I be better off with one of the dreadnoughts?
The GA shape gives me enough bass and power for strumming and flatpicking, but also has enough refinement and sweetness for fingerstyle, which is really the balance I'm looking to get.
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4358
    Have never tried it myself but I've seen people flatpicking on OMs and it can sound great with the right instrument.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11515
    I've got a Stonebridge(Furch) OM and it sounds good strummed with a pick or fingerpicked.  I think the OM is a good alrounder.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2502
    I'm beginning to think that myself. The Vintage series are absolutely beautiful, I played one about 4 years ago and it was just the most resonant lively guitar I've ever played.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I agree that an OM is a great choice for an all rounder. The slightly wider nut and string spacing is great for finger picking, but still good for strumming. IMO.

That 1/16 makes a huge difference for me.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    edited May 2015
    Boring/predictable answer but if you can try them out, go with the one that works best for you.

I also think that playing with a pick covers a multitude of styles in itself, from thrashing pinball wizardry to precise flatpicking that has more in common with fingerpicking to my ear than the typical subway strummer.

I have a Furch-made Stanford "OM5 Vintage" - basically a slothead OM. It sounds great for flatpicking but not as smooth as my Yamaha dread-sized L25 for full on strumming (which I do very little of so 9 times out of 10 I play the OM).

One word of warning is that I find the 45mm-wide nut on mine a bit of a struggle at times. It feels really wide, which most players (like @Gru) seem to prefer, but I wish it was more like the 44mm on the Yamaha. 

Edit: That said, slope shouldered dreads are very sexy guitars....

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Gru;621134" said:
    That 1/16 makes a huge difference for me.
    My ex-wife said something not dissimilar when she left me....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    One think I have noticed and this seems oddly precise, is that strumming on my guitar with 43mm nut and narrower spacing sounds just a fraction tighter, the string ringing every so slightly more in unison.

That being said it could be down to a huge number of other factors.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2502
    The 45mm nut should be fine, the Furch I have has a 44mm nut, and I actually dislike acoustic guitars with very narrow nut spacing, mainly due to the fatness of my fingers!
    I play a 5 string bass which is 47mm at the nut and around 63mm at the 12th fret and don't find it uncomfortable
  • neioneio Frets: 15
    I got a Furch OM35SR. If you haven't tried one, please do... sounds lovely and very comfortable to play. 

• AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Larrivee OM09 - great all rounder, but excels for picking