Taylor/Gretsch Trade - what to do?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27867
edited May 2015 in Guitar
I'm selling my Taylor 214 as it's not getting a look in since I got my Dove last summer. I was intending to clear some space and nothing more, but I've been offered a Gretsch 5122 (2011 Electromatic model, walnut finish, silver guard) in trade. I've always fancied a big box Gretsch and while I'd rather have one of the centre block Falcons this is an easy option and would make a nice project for new pickups, bridge and a bit of fettling. 

What to do? Are these Gretsches any good? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3454
    They're ok but they're not the real thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3012
    tFB Trader
    Mostly good, pups are generic hums and not Gretschy. Half moon board markers are nicely trad, 5420 has blocks. Good modding platform. My 5420 gives nothing away to my proline in playability.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27867
    Corvus said:
    Mostly good, pups are generic hums and not Gretschy. Half moon board markers are nicely trad, 5420 has blocks. Good modding platform. My 5420 gives nothing away to my proline in playability.
    Pretty much inline with what I thought. It's a nice looking thing, in a good colour, and I'd be happy chucking some TVs and a compton bridge at it and enjoy the process.
    They're ok but they're not the real thing.
    But this is what's nagging me, which is ridiculous, because they're still great guitars, just made in Korea, not Japan. Trouble is, I know myself and I'm fairly sure it won't scratch the Gretsch-itch in a satisfying enough way, but it would be fun in the meantime...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73155
    I nearly bought one of these a couple of months ago but decided against - the neck was very skinny and v-shaped (not my favourite), the pickups were crap and the overall feel and vibe was a bit cheap and rattly. Not terrible but I decided to wait for one of the Japanese-made ones to turn up.

Bear in mind standard Gretsch-type replacement pickups don't fit because the stock ones are the same size as normal humbuckers, and that if you fit something like Oil City Cow-T-Rons you will need to change the surrounds as well since the stock ones are 3-screw.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2015
    Yeah, I'm aware of that re pickups. TV Jones do some replacement surrounds that work (via re-drilling mounting holes). 

I think I'd be ok with the neck. Need to get my hands on it and see how it feels I think. Instinct is I'd enjoy it but part with it after spending £300 on it trying to make it a "real one", and get none of that back on resale, by which point I'm not far off used Tennessee Rose/Country Gent territory. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    I'd hold out for a Tennessee Rose but if you're not using the Taylor there seems little point in hanging on to it.
    I'm definitely moving the Taylor. It's still a lovely guitar but I'm not gigging, and it's been played maybe 4 times since August. The Dove has a pickup anyway, so if I do anything glow-key I'll use that. 

I've said no to the Gretsch trade and don't feel weird for it. Then one day I'll get a proper big Gretsch and be very happy :)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3012
    tFB Trader

The sensible thing would be buy my LTV Annie, lacquer finish, TVJs, feels & plays great etc etc ; )

Corvus said:

The sensible thing would be buy my LTV Annie, lacquer finish, TVJs, feels & plays great etc etc ; )

If that was caddy green...
    Gah! The chap has come back offering the same guitar plus £100. Now I'm getting very tempted as that would pay for one shiny new TV Jones...
    I've suggested meeting up and having a look. It's  nice looking thing from the photos. Will report back...