Can I Make A Standalone Spring Reverb?

RoxRox Frets: 2147
edited May 2015 in Making & Modding
I've been trying to sell this:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/40055/fs-ft-vintage-early-70-s-marshall-100w-eight-channel-mixer-w-accutronics-spring-reverb-tank#latest

It doesn't seem to have much value, and I suspect it's better as parts... it's certainly not something people seem to be interested in... however... on closer inspection of the mixer, I've discovered it has a Accutronics Spring Reverb in there... so I'm wondering if there's any mileage in removing it, and having a standalone reverb unit?

Here it is, at the top of the picture...

The tank has two (RCA?) leads, which plug into this circuit board:

Leave it, or mod it? 

Opinions, please...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72903
    It's not quite as easy as that to build a reverb unit, although it could be done. You need a power supply, the tank, that board and some controls for mixing. The board is not original to the Marshall as you can probably tell - it's either a replacement for something that died or the mixer didn't originally have reverb and it's been added.

You're right that the whole unit doesn't have much value - even the knobs, pots and other internal parts are more or less worthless because they're not the same as the ones used in the guitar amps. The logos are, but you have to get them off carefully without damaging them - I think they're attached by the pins being melted over on the inside with a soldering iron (they are on the similar-age PA amps and solid-state heads). The best way is to use a scalpel or razor blade to carefully cut off the melted plastic from the pins so you can pull them out - the pins will be intact but with some big dents in them, which isn't a problem for re-attaching them to amps.

If the whole thing is working they are quite cool for getting a lo-fi sound from keyboards and stuff, but apart from that it probably isn't very useful for anything, sadly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited May 2015
    Funnily enough, there is a 'Reverb Foot Switch' socket on the front, but although it's grounded, it's not actually attached to anything.

So that begs the question... what the heck is it attached to...?!

I might just have to hook it up to something and play around with the controls and see what happens...  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72903
    Rox said:
    Funnily enough, there is a 'Reverb Foot Switch' socket on the front, but although it's grounded, it's not actually attached to anything.

So that begs the question... what the heck is it attached to...?!

I might just have to hook it up to something and play around with the controls and see what happens...  ;)
    It would normally be connected to the output of the reverb tank to mute it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    What I mean is.. what controls the reverb, if the reverb socket isn't attached to anything...?