Multiple channel drives or dirt?

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 5045
I was wondering if whether, instead of taking a distortion and a lead boost, I could get a decent pedal that had more switch to different settings?

I know of the Tech 21 Double Drive, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions of a similar type?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17706
    tFB Trader
    The Jekyll and Hyde is decent if you like TS types for a boost.

The TC Nova Drive is extremely flexible if a little bland.

The Deucetone rat can do a cleanboost as well as every variant of RAT.

The GT500 is an obvious one, but I didn't really like it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33860
    I currently use an Analogman KOT.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17706
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    I currently use an Analogman KOT.

Oh yeah good shout, the KoT is brilliant.

Probably not my pick for metal though.
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 467
    edited May 2015
    I can't say I've ever used one myself, but the Boss SD-2 has a crunch and lead channel which can be switched between with either the pedal or an extension switch.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    They're quite expensive and a sod to find but my stampede SOV1 is the best sounding overdrive i have ever heard and ive had some cracking ones and the built in boost is great although unfortunately it cant be used on its own.
    theres always the HT dual although i dont think it sounds big enough and for a while i had a Mojo hand FX rook royale which was great it just didnt work with the rig i had at the time.
    and ive heard alot of good things about the JHS double barrel
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3057
    Wampler do a few double pedals, ie. drive with boost. R.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5181

Barber have several flavours of double-dirt pedals. There's a German(?) company called Rodenberg who make several double-dirt pedals with some cool switching options.

The one I use is the Foxrox ZIM- two truly independent channels (many "dual" drive pedals are really one dirt pedal with a built in boost that you can only use with the main drive engaged) with switching jacks on the back so you can run the two channels effectively as two pedals- they don't have to be adjacent in your signal chain and they don't have to be guitar -> Ch.A -> Ch.B -> amp. Ch.B also has a very interesting EQ section that uses phase cancellation to thicken or er... thin-en your tone.

They also have a facility for you to swap the circuit boards inside the pedal to set them up as different types of dirt pedals- several tubescreamer variants, Si Fuzz Face, Big Muff and Octavia cards, a distortion that's meant to be somewhere in the RAT / Distortion+ ballpark, a transparent clean boost and a couple of less TS-like low/mid gain ODs. The pedal isn't cheap but the ZIMcards are, and the ones I have ("boutique" TS, low-gain OD and Fuzz Face) are all very good at what they do IMO.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Twinstomp S-21 overdrive.