Help needed GAS woes

shaunmshaunm Frets: 1639
I need suggestions, I've now got cash burning a hole and I currently have no amp.

So I am setting aside this weekend for a bit of amp testing and shopping.

I have £850 to spend and this is the spec it needs to fill

Head or combo

I need to be able to use it for gigs and at home.

Blues/60's/early 70's Classic Rock are the styles I play so I need a decent clean but not too crystal or sterile.

Must take pedals well.

It doesn't have to be new, I'm happy with second hand.

So please give me some advice or hints and tips as I seem to be looking at every amp going.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    what about the dr z mazerati in the classifieds?
  • Sounds like you need a Tweed Bassman.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1639
    @MattG I will have a look, I don't know much about them to be honest.

@knuckleberryfinn they don't have master volumes do they? I've been looking at JTM45's and they seem like a good choice. My only concern would be volume for at home. I guess I could alway attenuate?
  • shaunm said:

@knuckleberryfinn they don't have master volumes do they? I've been looking at JTM45's and they seem like a good choice. My only concern would be volume for at home. I guess I could alway attenuate?
    Post phase inverter master volumes work really well with that circuit, and it's an easy mod to perform, so cheap to get done.  Or an attenuator would work - there was a really good thread recently about attenuators, with lots of advice on which ones work best with which amps.  I'll try to find it...
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    Deffo try a Dr Z if you can find one second hand.  I picked up a Carmen Ghia a few weeks ago and took it to a rehearsal room last night with some mates and it really is a beast.  At just 18w, there's not masses of clean head room, but probably enough.  It's a very loud 18w...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;)