The Who to Headline Glastonbury

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27696
    Slightly surprising as they did it not that long ago. That said, also awesome. I was front row for the first gig of this tour :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    I was front row for the first gig of this tour :D

Cool, seen them a few times - have they still got something or is it more of a "last chance to see the legends" type wheel-out?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 773
    Who?
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6592
    I see Prince is filling his usual "Not headlining Glastonbury" slot yet again. Getting boring now, Prince, change the record, eh?

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 773
    I think they should have given Gary Glitter the headline slot, it would help pay for his court fees. 
    >:D<
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27696
    dindude said:

Cool, seen them a few times - have they still got something or is it more of a "last chance to see the legends" type wheel-out?

They've definitely still got it. I'm certain it's not the same as it was in the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's, but it was still spectacularly good.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    edited May 2015
    dindude;623627" said:
    stickyfiddle said:

Rog struggles with some of the songs and when I saw them at the O2 recently he came in at the wrong time a couple of times. They're still a good band though as they have a great back catalogue of simply brilliant songs. The weak spot for me were the bass and drums, both Zak Starkey and Pino Pallidino sound pretty puny compared to Moon and Entwhistle.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    boogieman;624018" said:
    The weak spot for me were the bass and drums, both Zak Starkey and Pino Pallidino sound pretty puny compared to Moon and Entwhistle.

So half The Who are headlining Glastonbury....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17874
    tFB Trader
    There is no way I'd bother going to see them without Entwhistle on the Bass.

I've never been a fan of Keith Moon's random flailing so that wouldn't bother me. It can truly be said that he wasn't even the best drummer in The Who.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Same for me, sorry. I've enjoyed seeing Townshend and Daltrey on various things on TV and I'm sure they'd be even better seen in person, but for *The Who* to play Glastonbury or anywhere else you'd need a time machine.

The band was so much the mix of the four original members that it just can't be the same without two of them.

In the same way as if Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr play together it isn't The Beatles, and Page and Plant by themselves are not Led Zeppelin…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3070
    I saw them in Washington DC on the Quadrophenia tour. One of my suppliers at the time kindly bought me a ticket. I originally wanted to attend to see the support band - Vintage Trouble, and was a bit wary of seeing The Who as I worried that they might be past it, tired, etc. But I was totally blown away - they were fantastic. They had both Entwhistle and Moon playing (via video clips projected onto large screens, which worked really well). All-in-all a fantastic experience. R.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    boogieman;624018" said:
    The weak spot for me were the bass and drums, both Zak Starkey and Pino Pallidino sound pretty puny compared to Moon and Entwhistle.

So half The Who are headlining Glastonbury....
    "The Huh."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    monquixote;624202" said:

I've never been a fan of Keith Moon's random flailing so that wouldn't bother me. It can truly be said that he wasn't even the best drummer in The Who.
    Funny, I think the opposite. Moon was the perfect drummer for a lot of their material. You only have to hear them now to realise that a massive part of their sound is missing.
    imalone;625179" said:

"The Huh."
    More like "The Why?"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    I`m definitely in the half ,who and why ? camp,hate this sort of band.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    A friend has seen them a few times and loves them but the time before last apparently the encore was him sitting on a sofa with a cup of tea reading poetry. Talk about an anti-climax.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Who have they replaced someone has pulled out and the Who are last minute replacements someone was telling me last night
    capo4th;628322" said:
    Who have they replaced someone has pulled out and the Who are last minute replacements someone was telling me last night
    Gary Glitter?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    richardhomer;628399" said:
    [quote="capo4th;628322"]Who have they replaced someone has pulled out and the Who are last minute replacements someone was telling me last night
    Gary Glitter?[/quote]

I saw him live twice and he was great. Really.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1809
    edited May 2015
    Well I never really got the Who ok rock band, leader prone to over intellectualising everything. These days just a bunch of grumpy old men and if they are a last minute replacement then Glastonbury has lost it attractions for artists. :-)