Is it worth the effort to..

What's Hot
try to 'do something' with a Squier Tele.  Pretty old, not 100% original and Crafted in Indonesia.  I mislaid the original pickup mounting screws and fitted alternatives that I had to hand also I fitted an Earvana nut.  Tuning stability is not great.  Strangely I kinda like the old thing and wondered if it could be got 'right'.  I know I could spend a fortune on bits and pieces.....

What do you guys think?  Is it worth the effort?  Should I leave it as it is and just enjoy it, warts and all?  Or hop it into a charity shop and get a decent replacement?  I am still on the lookout for a yellow [canary or primrose yellow, not butterscotch] guitar.....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27825
    Sounds like an ideal test patient ... use it to develop your skills & confidence?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16863
    yeah, mod it.      You don;t have to spend a lot, but you can if you want
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Yes, get the Sharp Things out. Nowt lost. Probably needs to be different colour too.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72903
    The basic woodwork on these is OK.

If the tuning stability isn't great it shouldn't be hard to fix - it can only be the nut, the tuners or the bridge in that (steeply) descending order of probability.

Does it *play* in tune, or is it that it seems to not stay in tune because it doesn't?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10952
    tFB Trader
    Teles are probably the most commonly modded Fenders ... you can do so much for small bucks. Sort that tuning thing out firstways. As ICBM says, tuners, nut or bridge. Cheap but good split post tuners would be first on my shopping list anyway: to my mind as good as locking tuners when you learn how to use em. String hold downs are often problematic on those Fenders/Squires fitted with 2. I always revert to just the one on the E and B strings only. A very easy thing to try without!
    I'd do pots as a matter of course ... and a Sprague 'Orange Drop' cap, Then enjoy it for a while before deciding if you want to go further.
    Next for me would be a compensated three saddle ashtray bridge ...
    And lastly ... but only if you feel you need a boost ... new pickups. If it it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Teles are probably the most commonly modded Fenders ... you can do so much for small bucks. Sort that tuning thing out firstways. As ICBM says, tuners, nut or bridge. Cheap but good split post tuners would be first on my shopping list anyway: to my mind as good as locking tuners when you learn how to use em. String hold downs are often problematic on those Fenders/Squires fitted with 2. I always revert to just the one on the E and B strings only. A very easy thing to try without!
    I'd do pots as a matter of course ... and a Sprague 'Orange Drop' cap, Then enjoy it for a while before deciding if you want to go further.
    Next for me would be a compensated three saddle ashtray bridge ...
    And lastly ... but only if you feel you need a boost ... new pickups. If it it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    One of the nice things about teles is they *all* sound like teles across the range.  I tried an Affinity in butterscotch once and it has a reduced thickness body, plastic finish, odd colour, super cheap bridge and tuners and presumably mega cheap pickups, but it still sounded fundamentally like a USA Tele! Just an awful lot less refined - would benefit from an upgrade, but for a cheap impersonation of a tele, it was bang on. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27518
    Crikey - definitely worth keeping and fiddling with. Cheaper than swapping for something "better" and you'll learn something too :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72903
    ThePrettyDamned said:

One of the nice things about teles is they *all* sound like teles across the range.  I tried an Affinity in butterscotch once and it has a reduced thickness body, plastic finish, odd colour, super cheap bridge and tuners and presumably mega cheap pickups, but it still sounded fundamentally like a USA Tele! Just an awful lot less refined - would benefit from an upgrade, but for a cheap impersonation of a tele, it was bang on. 
    I totally agree. The usual Tele purist/snob nonsense that it doesn't sound like a Tele unless it has an ashtray bridge with three brass saddles etc is total nonsense.

There are *small* differences but no more than that. Put it in a mix and a Squier Affinity and a USA Standard Tele both sound exactly like Telecasters.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    My main reason for liking those wheel locking tuners is they're slightly higher geared. Also with a tune-o-matic style bridge you can remove the strings without taking them out of the tuners, but that's a minor benefit that doesn't even apply here. I also like well engineered moving parts...