Cabs and costs....

What's Hot
BlazeHelmBlazeHelm Frets: 20
I must be missing something. I'm looking for a second Egnater 112x cab, they retail at £209 and are loaded with - for all intents and purposes - a Celestion Lead 80. My roving eye looks at alternatives, and I spot the Dr. Z 1x12, which retails at more than twice the price, yet contains a slightly cheaper Celestion V30. I just don't get it. Seriously, am I missing something? What justifies the extra £250?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    Egnaters chinese made for a start, also the grade of the wood may be cheaper on egnaters, most high end cabs use marine birch ply
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    Cabs are generally priced in line with the rest of the company's gear. Premium brands like Dr Z etc don't tend to sell cabs cheaply.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlazeHelmBlazeHelm Frets: 20
    Yeah, the 112x uses birch ply and its built like a brick outhouse...sounds like it's more to do with the label on the front than the design or performance.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Same reason why a Harley Benton 2x12 with V30s cost £160 and an Orange 2x12 with V30s cost £540...
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Baltic birch ply aint exactly expensive so the majority of the price difference is name.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72892
    I know this is likely to raise some eyebrows but it's something that's been bugging me for a long time so I will finally say it.

Everything by Dr.Z I've seen has been overpriced for what it is and in some cases not as well-made as I would expect for that sort of money and the reputation it has.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17799
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I know this is likely to raise some eyebrows but it's something that's been bugging me for a long time so I will finally say it.

Everything by Dr.Z I've seen has been overpriced for what it is and in some cases not as well-made as I would expect for that sort of money and the reputation it has.
    I think you pay for that trendy boutique reputation. 

I'm sure you could get someone like MJW to make you something just as good for a lot less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3434
    All the Zs I've tried have been piercingly bright and thin sounding, too much for me and I like treble more than most.

That was a mini z (dreadful) and some Maz's (slightly better).
    They weren't cranked right enough.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    At gig volume a Maz 18 has more bottom than my missus, and fatter than a fat thing. In the UK they are expensive new, but used they are IMO good value for money
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11493
    All the Zs I've tried have been piercingly bright and thin sounding, too much for me and I like treble more than most.

Have to agree.  I'd read a lot of good things about them and went to try one at Peach when I was in that part of the world and I found to far too toppy for my liking.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I had a maz 38 Reverb Head and it certainly wasn't lacking in low end, in fact it was staggeringly bassey for a 4xel84 amp.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12009
    Maynehead said:
    Same reason why a Harley Benton 2x12 with V30s cost £160 and an Orange 2x12 with V30s cost £540...

Bogner Cube 1x12 with V30.....£525.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    monquixote;624227" said:

I'm sure you could get someone like MJW to make you something just as good for a lot less.
    I have an MJW cab and it is first rate. Martin was also great to deal with and patient with my endless questions. I'd highly recommend his work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLin;625050" said:
    Maynehead said:

Bogner Cube 1x12 with V30.....£525.
    I don't think I could justify that for a name, especially when (as mentioned above) there are builders here who can make something to a very high standard for less.

But, for some people, the look is just as important (though I think the bogner cube is a bit weird looking!). I really, for example, LOVE the look of those mesa vertical 2x12 rec cabs but they're astonishingly expensive... Well built for sure, but not a great deal better than other more mainstream kit and certainly not better built than a custom cab made here.

Yet I'd still want it... Over a custom cab, probably!

I feel the same way about fender amps. Plenty of boutique tweaks of the theme, but none look as good as a silverface or tweed fender cab (annoyingly at times!). :(
  • BlazeHelmBlazeHelm Frets: 20
    Well, my second Rebel 112x is on its way from Peach Guitars. Seems rarer than hens teeth so I had to have it. Looking forward to hearing what two of em sound like