Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Unbelievable eBay bargains - am I missing something?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Maxi said:
    I think Opeth had an endorsement with laney , they never had a bad guitar sound .
    yes, until they got marshall endorsement…Mickael played the GH100 and the i think Frederick played the VH100. Now Michael plays the VM100 and Frederick's got JVM

but apparently even when they had Laney endorsement they only played Laney live, never on their records. On their records they played Marshall JCM800's and Fenders for cleans

not to say anything bad about Laney btw…they are awesome amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love a good Laney, mostly the VC series- a VC15 was my only amp for several years and I'd have another very happily. 

That £77 VC30 is awesome- they're heavy buggers so that'll be why so cheap given it was collection only. Someone got a major bargain.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I would never be parted from my Laney LC30 Mk 2. I got it silly cheap and it can sound absolutely brilliant. The caveat is that you have to know how to set it up to best advantage ... otherwise the drive channel can sound muddy at lower gain or tizzy at high gain.
    I recently got the newer version of the LC30 combo which is confusingly not called the LC30 II (not sure what the history is to the naming of these amps?). I really like it but I am starting to go off the drive channel because to me the low end sounds a bit flubby / muddy at high gain. Do you think I'm not setting it up right? Any recommendations? I changed the speaker from the stock Seventy 80 to a v30 and it generally sounds better but there's still that muddiness at the low end.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    AFAIK, Opeth only used the VH's as poweramps. They used their Boss GT units for their distortion.

Bit of a shame, coz the VH distortion is great!
  • gearaddict;107320" said:
    TheGuitarWeasel said:

I would never be parted from my Laney LC30 Mk 2. I got it silly cheap and it can sound absolutely brilliant. The caveat is that you have to know how to set it up to best advantage ... otherwise the drive channel can sound muddy at lower gain or tizzy at high gain.

I recently got the newer version of the LC30 combo which is confusingly not called the LC30 II (not sure what the history is to the naming of these amps?). I really like it but I am starting to go off the drive channel because to me the low end sounds a bit flubby / muddy at high gain. Do you think I'm not setting it up right? Any recommendations? I changed the speaker from the stock Seventy 80 to a v30 and it generally sounds better but there's still that muddiness at the low end.
    It's more a classic rock type amp with a loose gain tone, which is lovely.

If the bass is flubby, try tightening it with an eq pedal or a tubeacreamer. Failing that, just dial some of the bass out.

I had an lh50 which is the 50 watt el34 version of the same amp, and with the gain maxed, it could do Metallica, but only if boosted with a tubescreamer for a bit more gain and to tighten everything up.

That loose bass means that big open g chords sound awesome though :D