New Chapman ghost fret explorer is available for pre order.

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    mart said:
    Will still hate the reverse headstock a case of style over function.
    Isn't there an argument that a reverse headstock makes bending easier on the treble strings and harder on the bass strings, thus suiting the way that many people play. I will agree it makes tuning a tiny bit more awkward, but sacrificing tuning convenience over playing convenience makes sense to me, as I'd hope to play a guitar much more than I tune it.
    How does that work?
    Why does it make bending the high strings easier to bend?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    Only Rob Chapman could come up with something as aesthetically unappealing as that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 12001
    tFB Trader
    The proportions are subtly 'out' enough to make it ugly in my book. I love explorers ... but that one's manky. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• teradaterada Frets: 5125
    Not my cup of tea if I'm honest, but in front of the right crowd that thing would completely rock
  • themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
    It's almost the Dean 'Zero' Dave Mustaine signature Explorer style shape. Which, from the 'making of' video, appears to have been the basis for the 'Ghost Fret'...

Oh look- they made one in blue!
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    This guitar shape never did much for me unfortunately.  Gibson or Chapman, I would pass.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122

It's Vile.

The End.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I haven't seen all the Chapman guitars but all the one's I have seen look quite boring and unimaginative.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Sassafras said:
    mart said:
    Will still hate the reverse headstock a case of style over function.
    Isn't there an argument that a reverse headstock makes bending easier on the treble strings and harder on the bass strings, thus suiting the way that many people play. I will agree it makes tuning a tiny bit more awkward, but sacrificing tuning convenience over playing convenience makes sense to me, as I'd hope to play a guitar much more than I tune it.
    How does that work?
    There is a slight extra amount of stretch needed to bend the strings due to them being longer, to get the same increase in tension the longer string needs to be stretched a bit further, the geometry of this also means you need to apply a bit more force (as you pull further sideways you're pulling more against the main string tension). I wrote the string bend calculator to check this out when someone pointed it out, it turns out you need about 6 inches of extra length past the nut to make 10% difference to both force and distance, so it's a small effect.
    Never quite understood the 'qhost fret' obsession, I suppose it's the one that never was, so there's a bit of an achievement in that it now is. (Though as a result it's no longer special.)
  • rashrash Frets: 38
    I thought the selling point for Chapman guitars was the price and ability to mod the guitars to your own spec, at £700 hes moving into a different market.

Its a bit pointy for my taste but it looks nice enough, I would have loved it when I was 18.

Also, what exactly is "Signature Chapman Tone" ?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, OK, I understand about the length of string behind the nut although as you say it must only make a very slight difference.
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    Sassafras said:
    mart said:
    How does that work?
    I was thinking of precisely the phenomena that @imalone explained above.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    It's quite a cool looking guitar. I have no idea if a neckthrough has been done before, but it's different.

Unfortunately I hate pointy guitars and even at £100 I wouldn't want one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    I quite like it
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 461
    I quite like i
    I like it as well.

The predecessor to this was made by Jaden Rose. That can only be a good thing!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    Why did Jaden Rose and RC stop working together? 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    Well for me the reverse headstock means fumbling to get chubby fingers around them no prob on a strat but as I can't really see the tuners on Chapman I knock the one next to the one I am trying to tune. Never a problem on a Strat. All that said I would probably like the Ml1 I have if it had a normal headstock and was a bit less heavy. The fretting and the ebony neck makes are the good points.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 12001
    tFB Trader
    The fretting and the ebony neck makes are the good points.
    Argggggggggggggggggggg my pet hate .... it isn't an ebony 'neck' it's an ebony fingerboard!!!!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25575
    Nice looking thing.

Wrong scale.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Well for me the reverse headstock means fumbling to get chubby fingers around them no prob on a strat but as I can't really see the tuners on Chapman I knock the one next to the one I am trying to tune. Never a problem on a Strat. All that said I would probably like the Ml1 I have if it had a normal headstock and was a bit less heavy. The fretting and the ebony neck makes are the good points.
    I've never tried a reverse headstock, doubtless there are people to who the bending difference is a big deal (though 10% is at the limit of our ability to judge force and that's more than the difference is going to be for a normal headstock), and there are guitars where it can look good, but it does seem like it would just be a faff trying to tune upside down. (Not much of a faff, and I've got 3 a side headstocks, but having all the tuners on the far side seems a bit weird.) The other thing is less force to bend may mean less precision, but again it's a small amount.