SG quandry: 61 reissue or Standard

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73235
    how is tuning stability affected by the different joints?
    It's not. There would have to be actual movement there for it to affect the tuning, and with a glued joint that won't happen.

The tuning stability is almost entirely affected by the nut. It is true that a guitar with a more flexible neck will be easier to 'neck vibrato' (deliberately or accidentally) and that if the nut isn't cut well *that* will cause tuning trouble, but it's still due to the nut not the neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6944
    edited May 2015
    Townshend was a neck flexer on early SG's I've never really felt it doable on mine - 90's onwards.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    I had a 61 I liked the guitar. Although mine was modded so I can't comment on pickups. The neck joint while not feeling flimsy. Did cause me palpitations every time I took it out the case. But I'm quite clumsy by nature. It was a nice sounding thing though. You could definitely quite easily do some of the neck flexing stuff. Make sure you try one because it feels like it's all neck. I found it took a little getting used to.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1735
    @wayneirie ; "All neck"? please expand; why would you say that if its a thinner neck that my special? does it just feel longer in your hands? fnar fnar
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I've always played semis (ooh you are awful) so even though the scale length is the same the neck felt longer because the body's smaller. The wide flat neck was very lovely though. It's thin but very comfortable. Barre chords hours of them and lead parts were all very easy. I know they changed the standards in 2013 to be more in line with the 61s.
    @wayneirie ; I guess then you would refer to all SG's as "all neck"??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Yes I suppose I would. It was very nice though. Just not for me. As I said the neck was lovely though.
    I have 3 SG's already of various manufacturer so I'm used the "neck thing"; my current Gibson 05 Special has a 50's neck which whilst I admit I haven't given it chance.. it's quite a leap from what I am used to.. even my Vintage and Epiphone SGs aren't as meaty neck wise..
    My trading feedback