Hot-ish PAF by British Winder. Any suggestions,and why ?

What's Hot
I'm looking for a Hot-ish, PAF-ish style,F spaced Bridge pickup for my SG,wound by a British winder, I have various pickups by Catswhisker, Wizard, Manlius,D Allen,Dimarzio,Duncan,Gibson Sound to be Warm and Woody with the volume rolled back a tad, then be able to make your cones want jump out of your Cab when maxed Vintage with a dollop of Andy Timmons "in the mix" ( I hate that saying ! ) would be perfect Just a little extra info.... Loving Rough cast magnets too ! Ok you knowledgable lot, let's hear you're recommendations.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 461
    Try Oil City Pickups. @Guitarweasel is helpful and can do customs winds.

I've got a set of Scrapyard Dog + models due in a guitar and I'm really looking forward to them. Ash we very helpful answering my numerous and ill informed questions.

Mojo and The Creamery also get a lot of praise in here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    You need @TheGuitarWeasel....
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5424
    edited May 2015
    @theguitarweasel is Ash from Oil City Pickups- selling excellent pickups & (from what I've seen on here) a pleasure to deal with when you want something to your own spec.

Mojo pickups are highly regarded too, I don't know if Mark/Marc (?) is a member.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 12001
    edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    I'm looking for a Hot-ish, PAF-ish style,F spaced Bridge pickup for my SG,wound by a British winder, I have various pickups by Catswhisker, Wizard, Manlius,D Allen,Dimarzio,Duncan,Gibson Sound to be Warm and Woody with the volume rolled back a tad, then be able to make your cones want jump out of your Cab when maxed Vintage with a dollop of Andy Timmons "in the mix" ( I hate that saying ! ) would be perfect Just a little extra info.... Loving Rough cast magnets too ! Ok you knowledgable lot, let's hear you're recommendations.
    Elwood said:
    Try Oil City Pickups. @Guitarweasel is helpful and can do customs winds.

I've got a set of Scrapyard Dog + models due in a guitar and I'm really looking forward to them. Ash we very helpful answering my numerous and ill informed questions.

Mojo and The Creamery also get a lot of praise in here.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    Damn browser not letting me edit that post with my actual comment ... which is ... 
    We can do you a custom 'rough cast alnico 4' Oil City 'NightFighter', F spaced, 4 conductor ... with nickel cover for £69.00 or open coil for £59.00 + P&P.
    Oh and the slightly lower output Forces Sweetheart (8,5k) for the same price ... again with rough cast mag
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    We're super lucky to have these custom pickup winders in the UK. I think they're all wizards and I tip my hat to their knowledge :-)
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    tFB Trader
    Wulfhere said:
    We're super lucky to have these custom pickup winders in the UK. I think they're all wizards and I tip my hat to their knowledge :-)
    Doffs winding hat ...

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    Dont forget Mojo Pickups :)

• DamianPDamianP Frets: 501
    edited May 2015
    I don`t know of a pickup maker with a deeper understanding of the fine details of pickup construction and their relationship to tone than Hayden at Bulldog Pickups.   Guaranteed.  I`ve done the comparisons.

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    DamianP said:
    I don`t know of a pickup maker with a deeper understanding of the fine details of pickup construction and their relationship to tone than Hayden at Bulldog Pickups.   Guaranteed.  I`ve done the comparisons.

+1 Top guy with a real understanding of how to get the sound you describe to him, out of a pickup. 

I've had a few of his Hot PAFs, brilliant pickups. In fact, @John_A may still have on in the bridge position of the PRS i sold him a few months ago.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
    Exactly as said above I would look no further than mojo, oil city and bulldog. All top pickup winders and you can actually talk to them to get exactly what you want
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 105
    I've heard nothing but reports about Oil City and Mojo. Personally though I'd recommend OX4, I've had a set for over 6 months now and still can't get over how good they sound and how much more I enjoy playing my guitar.