Argh 2 days 2 broken guitar stuff

What's Hot
ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
edited May 2015 in Guitar
My ce-3 went to @rockmonster and it has developed a low frequency oscillation fault since posting when it was fine.

and...

I received a tele neck pickup yesterday only for it to be DOA and under investigation it had a split in the winding right in the middle of the coil.

Anyone know how to fix both? Rewinds can be just as much as a new pickup

Arse!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Damn shame, where are you based, if your near come over and I'll show you have to wind the pickup yourself :-)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    mrchi;631874" said:
    Damn shame, where are you based, if your near come over and I'll show you have to wind the pickup yourself :-)
    A vid for us fckwits? Actually Mods, what about a How To vid category?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Tho vids are a pain.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    ab2014;41294" said:

I received a tele neck pickup yesterday only for it to be DOA and under investigation it had a split in the winding right in the middle of the coil.

Could the post office really be at fault for the pickup. A break in the winding?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Gru said:
    ab2014 said:
    Could the post office really be at fault for the pickup. A break in the winding?
    Only if it was so badly packed that something punctured the packing and damaged the coil. Even then it's really the sender's fault for not packing it well enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    Nah the seller said he tested it before sending it, it was packed OK and in box so how can the coil get damaged in transit when boxed??
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32405
    You'd really have to open (or puncture) the box to damage the coil in a pickup. I don't see how the Post Office can be blamed for that if the packaging is intact tbh.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    ab2014 said:
    Nah the seller said he tested it before sending it, it was packed OK and in box so how can the coil get damaged in transit when boxed??
    It can't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    Exactly. Well I've got a refund "pending" now. Shit luck I guess.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    ICBM said:
    Gru said:
    ab2014 said:
    Only if it was so badly packed that something punctured the packing and damaged the coil. Even then it's really the sender's fault for not packing it well enough.
    I've had a few occasions where I've been sold pickups that later turned out to be 'dead'.  And because I drag my feet on installing them, I was out of time to make any claims. 

So, when I sell a pickup, I always provide a picture of it hooked up to a multimeter... and now I test them with a multimeter when I receive one...  saves a lot of bother when you install, and THEN discover it's dead.  :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom