i baritone'd my squier bass vi

What's Hot
benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1414
its bloody ace! far more useable as an all round instrument. 

Touch of OD (Dwarfcraft Internet) and a shit tonne of reverb and tremolo (Strymon Flint & DBA Reverberation machine) and before I know it I've been in the attic for hours.

Anyone got any recommendations for this sorta stuff i can listen to or play along to? 
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    What did you do to achieve that? Just lighter strings?
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1414
    yeah i must admit id looked at other forums of people doing it and they'd changed the bridge and the nut. i had bought some baritone strings when i bought the bass with the intention of changing it. I got sick of looking at them on the shelf so I thought id throw them on and see what happened. 
    Its fine and if anything the playability has improved hugely, tbf it was a bit of a dog when I got it. now its great though!
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    Good call. I did that when I got mine a year or so back.

What strings did you go for? I found it a challenge getting a suitable top-string as light strings aren't usually long enough. Strings Direct sorted me out with a .020 that was long enough and can just cope with tuning to A. But then @DarnWeight suggested the Pyramid strings produced for the Gretsch baritone, and they are perfect. See here for more discussion:

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    I use Elixir baritones on all of my 30 inch Bass VI type instruments
    the strings are long enough for all of them
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    I might do mine eventually, but after an @icbm setup and bigger strings it actually plays really well as a VI.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    The stock strings were poor - very loose and undefined-sounding to the point the intonation sounded more off than it was.

Unlike the Jaguar and Jazzmaster, it definitely worked better with the bridge posts taped too - I'm not totally sure why! It may be because the bigger windings slip over the saddles more easily than guitar strings do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martmart Frets: 5213
    I use Elixir baritones on all of my 30 inch Bass VI type instruments
    the strings are long enough for all of them
    But are not long enough for the Squier VI with its 6-in-line headstock and trem. I tried.

That reminds me: if anyone wants an opened but unused set of Elixir baritone strings, PM me and I'll post them to you. :)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    I have spares at the min, so don't want to deny anyone else, but if no one else speaks up, I'll find a use for them
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1414
    Anyone got any recommendations for this sorta stuff i can listen to or play along to? 

How very rock and roll
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    The classic…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    pics or it never happened ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    @mart I'm very tempted to order one of the harley Benton baritones like @wezv did, if I do then those strings could be handy. I'll let you know
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    @icbm And now I want a baritone....and some apple pie and coffee.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i really wanted to do this when they first came out...never got around to it though...well done!