Recommend me a good book

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Depends what you want from your books OP. If you want to unwind I would continue with the Lee Child books - all of them. In order. I tend to read at bedtime. If I am not in the mood for fiction I have a pile of biographies to work through (mainly politicians or musicians). Currently reading Philip Norman's Mick Jagger bio.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    VimFuego said:
    For some more off the wall fantasy, check out some Neil Gaiman. My personal fave is American Gods. For more sci-fi, Alastair Reynolds. And for some just complete madness and fun, Jasper Fforde.
    and if you like all of those (as I do) you might like some Malcolm Pryce, Richard Morgan or Robert Rankin.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12515
    Halfhead by Stuart Macbride.
    Brilliant writer from Glasgow.His series of crime proceedial books featuring Logan McCray are fantastically written.Very realistic dialogue and laugh out loud funny.

Seconded. Stuart McBride is my favourite author at the moment. Halfhead seems to get regularly slagged off but I'm not sure why really, it's a very good read.  Elmore Leonard is a cracking crime writer too, definitely worth checking out if you haven't read any of his. I'm reading Ian Rankin's early Rebus books trilogy at the moment, not really grabbed me so far but I'll persevere.

Fantasy-wise Julian May writes some interesting stuff. I enjoyed the Thomas Covenant books mentioned above too. David Eddings is pretty good, although it's fairly generic saga stuff..The Belgariad is my favourite of his books.

• vizviz Frets: 10775
    This is a superb thread. I want to read something (other than this shite) now!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Read what you like, don't worry about snobbery ;)

I like Harry Potter and I'm not a fan of Tolkien.
    My V key is broken
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
    VimFuego said:
    For some more off the wall fantasy, check out some Neil Gaiman. My personal fave is American Gods. For more sci-fi, Alastair Reynolds. And for some just complete madness and fun, Jasper Fforde.

OK, American Gods it is.. just had a look at the blurb..so it's a goer!
    Thanks for all the recommendations.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"