On the matter of 'that' band, Nickelback...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Drew_fx said:
    I think they've got a good formula. Radio rock. Gruff voice. It's a combo that works well in America land.

This is a good point. Top down, big pointy car or pick up. Sun shining. Open road. Stuff like this makes sense.

See also Modern Country Music.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited May 2015
    "Top down, big pointy car or pick up. Sun shining. Open road. Stuff like this makes sense." is also probably the opening lyrics to a country song recorded in the last 5 years. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    Samgb said:
    This is a good point. Top down, big pointy car or pick up. Sun shining. Open road. Stuff like this makes sense.
    Yes, if it means you can't hear it over the wind noise...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    Never been a fan, but I can see why they sell - it's melodic enough, sing-a-long enough, heavy enough but pop enough and crucially have stayed together..

^This. Not really my cup of tea, but certainly don't dislike them either. I can fully understand why they have been successful.
    Nobody ever admits to liking them

And yet they sell out arenas all over the world, time after time. No one admits they went. 

It's very odd.

No different from nobody admitting they buy The Sun, despite it being (or at least having been) the UK's biggest selling paper.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    I liked this song, it is a good rock single.  Not heard it in a long time though!

"Unpopular" bands that sell millions? Coldplay & U2 spring to mind.

Re: Nickleback- they're still MASSIVELY popular in the U.S./Canadia. "If it ain't broke..." & all that. They're doing just fine without us liking them.

Isn't he now married to Avril Lavigne? What happened to HER career?
    That is a good point. But I heard they broke up? Wasn't she with the singer out of Sum 41? That's another band who miraculously disappeared too from around that era. Where's Bowling for Soup? And what about Feeder? Feeder did some good stuff and then they kinda just fizzled out. 

As for Av Lav - well she's got two good albums (or sorry I mean two albums that one can bare listening to) and that's it. Under My Skin is the better of the two, it's less poppy.

Only Feeder aren't playing from that list, I think Grant has gone solo.  Sum 41 have a gig in July and Bowling for Soup are going on tour in June and have apparently just released their 14th album.

I find the 'disappeared' thing usually means no longer see them on TV.  There are pretty much no rock bands on terrestrial TV these days.  Mainstream in the UK is all about pop, dance, indie, rap etc right now.  Mind you I barely watch TV so I might be wrong.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510

Yeah, 'Leader Of Men' is the only tolerable song I've heard by them.

'How You Remind Me' was bland but entirely inoffensive when I first heard it. A year later I wanted to put it in a box and stamp on it to death.

Overall apart from that, I think they're utter dirge and they deserve all the abuse they get. :)

Also...'Rock Star' is legit one of the worst songs ever written. Absolute dogshit.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I have one album. I quite like it. I don't need another.

The singer is a pretty annoying bloke though.

Just for the record, I'd be happy to be that disliked and have their career thank you very much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    axisus said:

Just for the record, I'd be happy to be that disliked and have their career thank you very much.
    Just need the career then.........
    >:D< :))

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    ICBM;633555" said:
    Samgb said:

Yes, if it means you can't hear it over the wind noise...
    I didn't say I wanted to listen to it. It's a cultural thing isn't it?
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Drew_fx said:

The UK is completely pussy-whipped with bullshit pop and synthy indie bollocks.
    You leave gavhauss out of this!!!!!!
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Did RATM ever become cool to hate? I remember the first album being spectacualr and the other 2 being total repetitive dross..
    Noooo.... the second one is less immediate than the other two but once it grew on me I loved it.  The third one (Battle Of Los Angeles) has some absolute belters on there. Exhibit A:

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I don't mind one or two of their songs, but what narks me about them are the following things:

Chad Kroeger saying in a TG interview years ago that he was good enough to go head to head with any shredder... Really? I've never heard anything other than sludgy guitars in most of their material...

How You Remind Me was waaaay overplayed in 2001...

They are basically the Nicholas Cage of rock...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I'm not a huge fan or anything, but I just don't see how it is possible to generate the strong feelings that some people do for Nickelback....

They're totally inoffensive.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    Eh???  :-S
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Philly_Q;639434" said:
    Nunogilberto said:

Wooden as fuck, and not taken all that seriously in their particularly industry ;)

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Even the Police where I live take pot-shots at Nickelback on their social media pages. Here's a prime example, they are playing tonight! And it's not the first time. A while ago, they suggested Nickelback CDs would be given to people as punishment! 

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    edited May 2015
    Philly_Q;639434" said:
    Nunogilberto said:

Wooden as fuck, and not taken all that seriously in their particularly industry ;)

You mean Academy Award winner, Best Actor 1995, Nicolas Cage?

OK, OK, I know he makes a lot of terrible films and (especially in recent years) gives a lot of sort-of-terrible performances, but I don't think he's wooden, at least not most of the time.  At his best he has a weird manic intensity, which I admit isn't always appropriate for the particular role but it lifts him above the rest of the cast even in his bad films.  And he has a likeable quality which somehow enables him to play anything from goofy comedy characters to action heroes to villains to romantic leads whilst always retaining a bit of essential "Nic Cage-ness".

I'd say Nickelback are more like the Mark Wahlberg of rock, if anything.  A bit dull and predictable, but steady, reliable and good box office.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Nicholas Cage isn't wooden, he just doesent believe in naturalism in contrast to most actors these days. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    And both think they're God's gift to their chosen profession…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein