Telecaster - 6 saddle bridge

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I have a Lite ash tele which has the traditional 3 brass saddles. I have the usual intonation issues and generally am happy with it but I guess am always missing that perfect intonation I get from my strat.

I saw that G&L teles often have 6 brass saddles and a quick search brought up these http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-Vintage-Bridge-w-Six-Brass-Saddles-p/arutb0406.htm

Other than the purist who'd say 3 saddles are best, has anyone got any opinions on these? I like that they'd give better intonation but still are brass to keep that Tele sound.

Will they easily fit a Lite ash Tele?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Six of the best never did me any harm :)

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Keith Richards uses individual saddles on his Tele. A compensated saddle makes a big difference, keeps the Telecaster look and sound and unless your also fitting an Earvana is probably the best option. It's only really the 3rd and 4th string where the three saddle is a real issue tbh.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I converted a couple of mine to 6 saddle because intonation is so much better, especially noticeable when playing chords high up the neck. Also better sustain on mine. But line up of holes between old amd new bridge has to be right - the bridges aint all the same.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2493
    The Lite Ash series is Korean isn't it? and IIRC has some odd sizes for things, so I'd measure up carefully before ordering anything.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Yes, I think it is a Korean made guitar. This might sound silly, but what measurements do I take before ordering? Is it things like space between screw holes?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8866
    Three things you need to check, and they usually aren't in the online description:
    1. Screw hole number and spacing.
    2. Distance from screw holes back to the edge of the plate.
    3. Distance from screw holes to bridge pickup. 

When I did this recently, replacing the bridge on a Harley Benton with a six saddle bridge from the same brand, I kept the original screw holes for strength, but had to fit longer bolts to get the saddles in the right position, and chisel out 1/8th of an inch in the cavity to fit the pickup.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11554
    Get some compensated saddles like this:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/All_Hardware_and_Parts_by_Instrument/Electric_Guitar/Saddles/Compensated_Bridge_Saddles_for_Tele_Set_of_3.html

You can find them in the.  Google suggests there are people selling similar on Ebay but I can't look at those from work.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9870
    It is also possible to get compensated saddles with a discrete groove which helps maintain string spacing... http://www.ruttersguitars.com/uploads/RuttersBrassSaddles2.jpg
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I did consider compensated saddles but I wonder if 6 individuals would cure the intonation perfectionist in me! :-)
    I put compensated saddles on my old Tele and it was a huge improvement.  I doubt you'd be able to hear the differences between that and 6 individual ones.
    crunchman said:
    I put compensated saddles on my old Tele and it was a huge improvement.  I doubt you'd be able to hear the differences between that and 6 individual ones.
    Which saddles did you use?
    I used the Callaham ones as I'd gone into Charlie Chandler's shop and that was what he had in stock.  They are quite expensive though.  By all accounts there are cheaper ones that are just as good.  If you want to go for Callaham then I think Charlie still stocks them.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7838
    I hate the 3 saddle bridges and always replace / choose 6 saddle versions. Purists would gasp, but I like being in tune.. not tried compensated saddles, but if you prefer then 3 saddle aesthetic, then that could be a good way to go!
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited May 2015
    I put compensated brass saddles on my Harley Benton tele, the intonation was MUCH better immediately. I also think the sustain was slightly better than the original uncompensated steel barrel saddles.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    I've got a Wilkinson 3 saddle compensated bridge on a partscaste and it intonates perfectly. They're also very decently priced and look the part.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Two of my Teles have Callaham compensated barrels and intonation on both is perfect.
    I hate the 3 saddle bridges and always replace / choose 6 saddle versions. Purists would gasp, but I like being in tune.. not tried compensated saddles, but if you prefer then 3 saddle aesthetic, then that could be a good way to go!
    Which 6-saddle bridges have you bought?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    I have a lite ashe tele, when I bought it it came fitted with a 6 saddle flat plate bridge with a traditional bent lip 3 saddle bridge spare in the case. I changed back to the 3 saddle on the first restring and preferred the sound. I have nil problems with intonation (using 9s). I would look at compensated saddles first if I were you. Are you sure the nut slots are beautifully cut, If they are not neatly sloping away from the fingerboard edge they will cause some problems.