Do 2013 les Paul's have one piece fretboards?

What's Hot
stenio83stenio83 Frets: 81
I know that the 2012s were laminated, did they go back to one piece in 2013?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Depends on model plus I don't think the cutover was precisely on 1 January 2013. Though before that date Gibson swore that laminated rosewood (like all wood laminations) provided better stability and consistency. Then after that date they swore solid rosewood was best. Seriously, Henry has NO shame.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stenio83stenio83 Frets: 81
    Les paul standard plus purchased December 2013 from pmt?
    Chalky;633327" said:
    Depends on model plus I don't think the cutover was precisely on 1 January 2013. Though before that date Gibson swore that laminated rosewood (like all wood laminations) provided better stability and consistency. Then after that date they swore solid rosewood was best. Seriously, Henry has NO shame.
    It's a Les paul standard plus as purchased December 2013 from pmt?
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    edited May 2015
    stenio83 said:
    Chalky;633327" said:
    Email Gibson with the serial number, they'll tell you for sure.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23871
    edited May 2015
    slate said:
    stenio83 said:
    Chalky;633327" said:
    Email Gibson with the serial number, they'll tell you for sure.

I don't think they know for certain.  I asked about my 2012 R4 and the best they could say was that it was early 2012 so it might not have a laminated board.

I would guess that some guitars completed early in 2013 must have the laminated boards.  Later in the year they're going to be one-piece.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Without removing the fretboard, how can anyone tell? Is this a semantic discussion?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky;633690" said:
    Without removing the fretboard, how can anyone tell? Is this a semantic discussion?

Hi wat do you mean by semantic discussion ?
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited May 2015

One of my 2013 Gibson's has a laminated rosewood fingerboard, the other has a one piece fingerboard. Gibson don't keep specific info linked to serial numbers, the only way to tell on a bound fingerboard is to remove the nut.

Gibson carried on production until all the wood was used, if laminated rosewood was on the bottom of the pile, it was still used in late 2013. I've also seen a 2014 Les Paul with the 12 fret inlay that had a laminated fingerboard.

Bogwhoppit;633715" said:
    One of my 2013 Gibson's has a laminated rosewood fingerboard, the other has a one piece fingerboard. Gibson don't keep specific info linked to serial numbers, the only way to tell on a bound fingerboard is to remove the nut.Gibson carried on production until all the wood was used, if laminated rosewood was on the bottom of the pile, it was still used in late 2013. I've also seen a 2014 Les Paul with the 12 fret inlay that had a laminated fingerboard.

Is it a big issue some people seem to get quite uptight about it what's the reason and pros and cons?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    stenio83;633781" said:
    [quote="Bogwhoppit;633715"]One of my 2013 Gibson's has a laminated rosewood fingerboard, the other has a one piece fingerboard. Gibson don't keep specific info linked to serial numbers, the only way to tell on a bound fingerboard is to remove the nut.Gibson carried on production until all the wood was used, if laminated rosewood was on the bottom of the pile, it was still used in late 2013. I've also seen a 2014 Les Paul with the 12 fret inlay that had a laminated fingerboard.

Is it a big issue some people seem to get quite uptight about it what's the reason and pros and cons?
    [/quote]

Like most things the only issue is it's not how they done it 60 years ago.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23871

Whether it's a one piece board or a two piece board, it's glued to a piece of mahogany which is then glued to another piece of mahogany with a piece of maple glued on top.  So at worst it's one more piece of wood and one more layer of glue.  I really can't imagine it making much difference.

I suppose you might argue that the fret tangs could cut all the way through the top layer of the fingerboard, so you end up with 23 separate little bits of wood instead of one - but it's not like they're floating around loose, they're still all stuck to the second layer of the board.   And it's really not so very different from a mid-60s Fender with a round-lam rosewood board.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    stenio83 said:
    Bogwhoppit;633715" said:
    One of my 2013 Gibson's has a laminated rosewood fingerboard, the other has a one piece fingerboard. Gibson don't keep specific info linked to serial numbers, the only way to tell on a bound fingerboard is to remove the nut.Gibson carried on production until all the wood was used, if laminated rosewood was on the bottom of the pile, it was still used in late 2013. I've also seen a 2014 Les Paul with the 12 fret inlay that had a laminated fingerboard.

Makes little difference to me, I was just curious to what I had.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3706
    stenio83 said:
    Bogwhoppit;633715" said:

It's just one of those great things of little significance that keeps the conversation flowing on guitar fora.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

I've got a 2012 LP Trad....sold a perfectly good 2004 Standard to pay for this...simply cos the Trad was in better nick (my 2004 had a couple of annoying dinks on the back of the neck..plus I craved a fatter neck) anyway I got this knowing it was the laminated rosewood board year...and I got over it pretty quick. The guitar sounded every bit as good as my 2004 Standard which I sold shortly after getting this (as the credit card bill was coming for the Trad) so it doesn't affect the look or sound or anything tangible in the real world. If it ever does become an issue 10+ years down the line when it needs a refret...well most likely by then it will be someone elses guitar and problem..but even then I don't think it'll be an issue.

In my mind if you asked me would I prefer a one piece rosewood board I'd be definitely! But at the end of the day in the real world it really is a none issue.......hence why I was able to get over it quick.

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4309
    What's already been said really. Any physical issues are likely to be a long way in the future and related to multiple re-frets and fretboard re-profiling etc.

The more immediate issue for the 2012 models is resale value, as the internet is awash with people stating that they are worthless firewood. That's the only reason I wouldn't buy one.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    CloudNine;634133" said:
    What's already been said really. Any physical issues are likely to be a long way in the future and related to multiple re-frets and fretboard re-profiling etc.

The more immediate issue for the 2012 models is resale value, as the internet is awash with people stating that they are worthless firewood. That's the only reason I wouldn't buy one.
    Yet it'd be a great reason go buy a used one
    edited May 2015
    So is 2013 les paul is a good year? or is it on the hate list along with the 2012, 2014 and 2015s? Ps I own a 2013 and I love it but I'm just interested if I wee decide to sell, is it gonna be a painful experience selling it
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Yes
    capo4th;634401" said:
    Yes
    Sorry wat do you mean 'yes'?
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Nut off, if it's your own, have a look.

I wouldn't have one as historically they're supposed to be one piece. Simple as.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    jd0272;634413" said:
    Nut off, if it's your own, have a look

I wouldn't have one as historically they're supposed to be one piece. Simple as.

I'm guessing that's the only way of knowing then??

So would you buy s 2013 if it was one of the ones with a one piece fretboard?